This final policy statement specifically:
- encourages regulated entities to develop, implement and upgrade environmental auditing programs;
- discusses when the Agency may or may not request audit reports;
- explains how EPA's inspection and enforcement activities may respond to regulated entities' efforts to assure compliance through auditing;
- endorses environmental auditing at federal facilities;
- encourages state and local environmental auditing initiatives: and
- outlines elements of effective audit programs.
- Environmental Auditing Policy Statement (PDF)(8 pp, 4 MB, July 9, 1986)