This action addresses environmental violations at schools and public water systems (“PWSs”) owned by, operated by, or otherwise the legal responsibility of DOI, Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) and/or the Bureau of Indian Education (BIE). The violations involve several environmental statutes, including the:
- Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA)
- Clean Air Act (CAA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)
- Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
For more information see the Summary of the Consent Agreement.
The consent agreement was ratified on Aug. 18, 2011 and was followed by several modifications. Also included is a compliance agreement and the listing of schools and public water systems covered in the consent agreement.You may need Adobe Reader to view files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Consent Agreement and Final Order with the Depart of the Interior (PDF)(168 pp, 4 MB)
- Bureau of Indian Education Owned Schools Subject to the Consent Agreement Final Order (CAFO) and Federal Facilities Compliance Agreement (FFCA) (PDF)(6 pp, 122 K)
- Order Modifying Consent Agreement; Update of DOI facilities subject to the consent agreement. July 31, 2014 (PDF)(9 pp, 1 MB)
- Non-Material Modification of Consent Agreement Between the EPA and DOI, Jan.27, 2012 (PDF)(2 pp, 74 K)
- Non-Material Modification of Consent Agreement Between the EPA and DOI, Sept. 22, 2011 (PDF)(1 pg, 84 K)
- Non-Material Modification of Consent Agreement Between EPA and DOI, Sept. 2, 2011 (PDF)(1 pg, 41 K)
- Environmental Multi-Media Assessment Program (EMAP) Audit List for FY 2012 - 2016, updated Nov. 8, 2011 (PDF)(4 pp, 788 K)
- Federal Facility Compliance Agreement (FFCA) Between DOI and EPA (PDF)(12 pp, 214 K)