An official website of the United States government.

Public access for MSDSs

Where should citizens go to request MSDSs on chemicals in a facility within their community?

Each submitted MSDS or list along with the community emergency response plan, and inventory form are to be made available to the public at a designated location during normal working hours.  Each local emergency planning committee (LEPC) must publish annually a notice in local newspapers that the above forms have been submitted and are open to public viewing at the designated location.  In addition, any person may obtain an MSDS by submitting a written request to the LEPC.  If requested through the LEPC, MSDSs can be obtained for hazardous chemicals present at a facility in amounts below the threshold.