Reportable Quantities Federal Register Notices
Originally published in 1985 under the authority of Section 102 of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA), the Designation, Reportable Quantities, and Notification regulation:
- Designates specific substances as hazardous under CERCLA;
- Identifies the quantity of substances which, when released, requires notification; and
- Sets forth the notification requirements for releases of these substances.
The statutory authorities for designating substances as a CERCLA hazardous substance include sections 311(b)(2) and 307(a) of the Clean Water Act, section 112 of the Clean Air Act, and section 3001 of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
The reportable quantities apply to the waste itself, not merely to the toxic contaminant. Unlisted hazardous wastes which exhibit toxicity are also covered under this regulation, and have been assigned a reportable quantity of 100 pounds.
The notification requirement applies to any person in charge of a vessel or an offshore or an offshore facility, who must notify the National Response Center if any release of a hazardous substance equal to or exceeding the reportable quantity occurs at their vessel or facility. However, releases that are continuous and stable in quantity and rate are subject to reduced reporting requirements.
Designation, Reportable Quantities, and Notification; 40 CFR 302
- October 4, 2006: Administrative Reporting Exemption for Certain Air Releases of NOX (NO and NO2). 71 FR 58525 Text (62 KB) | PDF (9 pp, 215 K, About PDF)
- August 16, 2006: Reportable Quantity Adjustments for Carbamates and Carbamate-Related Hazardous Waste Streams; Reportable Quantity Adjustment for Inorganic Chemical Manufacturing Process Waste (K178), Final Rule. 71 FR 47106 Text (97 KB) | PDF (17 pp, 247 K, About PDF)
- July 9, 2002: Correction of Typographical Errors and Removal of Obsolete Language in Regulations on Reportable Quantities. 67 FR 45356 Text (282 KB) | PDF (44 pp, 365 K, About PDF)
- July 24, 1990: Designation, Reportable Quantities, and Notification. 55 FR 30185
- August 14, 1989: Table 302.4: List of Hazardous Substances and Reportable Quantities. 54 FR 33449
- May 24, 1989: Designation, Reportable Quantities, and Notification. 54 FR 22538
- September 29, 1986: Determination of Reportable Quantities for Hazardous Substances. 51 FR 34547
- April 4, 1985: Notification Requirements; Reportable Quantity Adjustments. 50 FR 13474