An official website of the United States government.

Should follow-up release information be sent to the state environmental agency?

Should the written follow-up information go not only to the local emergency planning committee and the state commission but also to the state environmental agency?

Section 304(c) of Title III mandates that written follow-up notification go to the same entities that received the initial oral notification, i.e., the state commission and the local emergency coordinator of the local emergency planning committee.  Title III does not require that written follow-up information be given to the state environmental agency.  However, written follow-up reports are available to the state agency as to any other member of the public under Section 324.  In most cases, environmental agencies are represented on the commission and thus may receive the information directly.