Andrew W. Breidenbach Environmental Research Center Annex 2
45,719 gross square feet
Annex 2 energy and water data are reported under the AWBERC.
Annex 2 is attached to Annex 1 of the Agency’s Andrew W. Breidenbach Environmental Research Center (AWBERC).
- Annex 2 received the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED® Gold for New Construction (version 2.1/2.2) certification in December 2008.
- Annex 2 meets the Guiding Principles for Sustainable Federal Buildings due to its existing LEED certification.
- Annex 2 features state-of-the-art, energy-efficient building systems, including: temperature controls; variable air volume air and water side economizers that allow for 100 percent outside air ventilation when possible; and under-floor ventilation that uses 6 percent less energy.
- Extensive daylighting around the perimeter of the building, a skylight in the ceiling and occupancy sensors throughout the building minimize the use of artificial light.
- A green roof saves energy by providing thermal insulation and minimizes the heat island effect.
- Advanced metering at the facility, including sub-metering for electrical and water use, helps building facility managers identify and fix any power drains and water leaks.
- All plumbing fixtures installed in Annex 2 are water-efficient (e.g., dual-flush toilets).
- The facility grounds feature xeriscaping and native vegetation that requires no irrigation.
- In the triangular courtyard between Annexes 1 and 2, EPA incorporated low impact development sustainable landscaping, including permeable pavement and native vegetation.
- During the construction process, EPA selected recycled-content materials and diverted 95 percent of construction wastes from landfills.
For more information, read Sustainable Facilities at EPA: Research Support Annex 2, Cincinnati, Ohio; visit the Office of Mission Support website; or visit the EPA Facility Contact List for contact information.