EPA Analysis of FracFocus 1 Data
The EPA conducted an analysis to better understand the chemicals and water used to hydraulically fracture oil and gas production wells in the United States and how chemical and water use vary in different locations across the country.
The EPA compiled and analyzed over two years of data from the FracFocus Chemical Disclosure Registry 1.0 provided by the Ground Water Protection Council (GWPC) and the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission (IOGCC). FracFocusis a publicly accessible website managed by GWPC and IOGCC where oil and gas production well operators can disclose information about ingredients used in hydraulic fracturing fluids at individual wells.
This work was done as part of the EPA’s Study of the Potential Impacts of Hydraulic Fracturing for Oil and Gas on Drinking Water Resources.
- Analysis of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid Data from the FracFocus Chemical Disclosure Registry 1.0
- Data Management and Quality Assessment Report
- Project database developed from FracFocus 1.0 disclosures
- Selected data tables from the analysis of FracFocus 1.0
- State-level Summaries of FracFocus 1.0 Hydraulic Fracturing Data
- EPA Analysis of FracFocus Data Fact Sheet