Events Related to EPA Ports Initiative
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
|Event Start Date||Event End Date||Event Name||Location|
June 7, 2021
1:30 p.m. EDT
June 7, 2021
3:00 p.m. EDT
Direct Link to Webinar (Zoom)
|August 16, 2021||August 18, 2021||Green Transportation Summit & Expo 2021||Tacoma, WA|
EPA Webinar: June 7, 1:30-3:00 p.m. EDT
Hear from Professionals that have Conducted Emission Inventories
Join this U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Ports Initiative webinar to hear directly from professionals who have conducted inventories of mobile source emissions at their ports, and the positive outcomes they have experienced as a result. You will also have a chance to ask questions of these professionals to help you plan for the next (or first) emissions inventory at your port. Webinar materials will also include links to EPA resources for conducting port emissions inventories.
Learn more about:
- Why ports may wish to conduct criteria pollutant and/or greenhouse gas emissions inventories;
- Beneficial outcomes from completing an inventory, including how it can help prepare a port for grant opportunities that prioritize project sustainability and environmental justice;
- The range of scope and complexity for emissions inventories; and
- EPA’s Ports Initiative program efforts to accelerate adoption of cleaner technologies and planning practices to address diesel emissions at ports across the country.
Speakers and panelists:
- Alejandra Núñez (Deputy Assistant Administrator for Mobile Sources, EPA's Office of Air and Radiation)
- David Breen (Manager, Environmental Air Quality, Energy, & Noise, Port of Portland)
- Giles Pettifor (Environmental Manager, Port of Hueneme) and Miguel Rodriguez (Community Outreach Manager, Port of Hueneme)
- Gretchen Barrera, PE (Environmental Section Manager, Alabama State Port Authority)
- Shawn Kiernan (Environmental Manager, Maryland Port Administration)
- Charles Liou (Manager, Environmental Initiatives, Port Authority of New York & New Jersey)
Highlighted Past Events
- Webinar - EPA Community-Port Collaboration Resources
- (35 pp, 3 MB, 9 de abril de 2021)
This EPA hosted public webinar was held on April 9, 2021 and included:
- An overview of EPA's Ports Initiative;
- EPA's community-port collaboration resources;
- The Environmental Justice (EJ) Small Grants opportunity;
- Real-world examples of community-port collaboration;
- A questions and answers session.
- (35 pp, 3 MB, 9 de abril de 2021)
This EPA hosted public webinar was held on February 25th and covered:
- Background of the work leading to the update of the 2009 emissions inventory document;
- Approach and scope of the update;
- Updated methodologies by mobile source sector; and
- How to submit feedback on the draft document.
- (August 2018)
EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality hosted a webinar exploring EPA and Port Everglades Partnership: Emission Inventories and Reduction Strategies report.
- Talking Freight Seminar: Advancing Clean Air Projects at Ports and Goods Movement Facilities Through the CMAQ Program (June 2018)
This webinar provided an overview of how the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) program can help improve air quality around ports and other goods movement facilities including tips and lessons learned for potential project sponsors and beneficiaries.
- (June 2017)
The Department of Transportation's Talking Freight Seminars are held monthly as part of a broader Freight Professional Development Program to help the freight and planning workforce meet the transportation challenges of tomorrow. The seminar on EPA's Ports Initiative included an overview of the program, recommendations from the Ports Initiative Workgroup under EPA's Clean Air Act Advisory Committee, the port authority perspective on addressing air quality at ports, the Port Everglades emission inventory developed in partnership with EPA, and pilot projects and tools to promote community-port collaboration.
- National Port Strategy Assessment Webinars (PDF)(47 pp, 3.7 MB, 2016)
These webinars (held on 11/29/16 and 12/15/16) discussed the background and key findings from the National Port Strategy Assessment on Reducing Air Pollution and Greenhouse Gases at U.S. Ports.
- Port Stakeholder Summit: Advancing More Sustainable Ports (April 2014)
The Summit served as a venue for port professionals, experts and stakeholders to address the many opportunities and challenges faced by our nation’s ports and neighboring communities.
- A National Conversation on Ports (Webinars held in 2013 and 2014)
These webinars were hosted by EPA to exchange views and develop a shared understanding of the challenges and opportunities of ports and port communities among port stakeholders.