Technical Resources for Ports
Assessments and Strategies
- Port Operational Strategies
- Port Gate Management Strategies Improve Air Quality and Efficiency at Ports
- Management Information Systems Improve Operational Efficiencies and Air Quality At Ports
- Marine Vessel Speed Reduction Reduces Air Emissions and Fuel Usage
- Virtual Vessel Arrival Systems at Ports Improves Air Quality and Saves Fuel
This series of port operational strategy fact sheets provides information to inform port stakeholders about potential emission reduction strategies. Each fact sheet contains basic information about the strategy, emission impacts, cost components, and example programs. While each strategy can achieve benefits on its own, implementing them together could create synergies.
This guidance describes the latest, state-of-the-science methodologies for preparing port-related emissions inventory for the following mobile source sectors: ocean-going vessels, harbor craft, recreational marine, cargo handling equipment, onroad vehicles, and rail. This guidance may be used for regulatory, voluntary, and research purposes.
This assessment reviews the availability of shore power at ports, characterizes the technical and operational aspects of shore power systems, and presents a new methodology for estimating emission reductions from shore power systems for vessels docked and connected to shore power.
- his national scale assessment examines current and future emissions in port areas; explores available strategies to reduce emissions from port-related vehicles; and provides an assessment tool for state and local governments, ports and port operators, Tribes, communities, and other stakeholders.
- Northwest Ports Clean Air Strategy
This case history provides an overview of the Northwest Ports Clean Air Strategy goals, progress toward meeting performance targets and outcomes that have reduced emissions and improved air quality in the Port of Seattle, Port of Tacoma, and Port Metro Vancouver, Canada.
- EPA Partnership with Port Everglades
This partnership seeks to develop baseline and future year emission inventories and to evaluate various effective technology and operational strategy scenarios for seaports.
- Verified Technologies
View EPA-verified technologies and retrofit technologies that save fuel and reduce emissions.