Smart Growth Topics
Click on the links below to learn more about how smart growth strategies relate to the following topics and to find resources from EPA and other sources on these topics:
- Affordable Housing – Explains how smart growth strategies can help make housing more affordable.
- Brownfields and Infill Development – Discussion of cleanup and reuse of brownfield sites, which are often in built-up places with existing transportation and utility infrastructure.
- Climate Change – Explains how smart growth strategies can help mitigate and adapt to climate change.
- Colleges and Universities – Discussion of how colleges and universities are involved in smart growth.
- Disaster Resilience and Recovery – Explains how smart growth approaches can help communities prepare for and recover from natural disasters.
- Equitable Development – Discussion of smart growth, environmental justice, and equitable development.
- Location and Green Building – Discussion of the connection between green building and location-efficient siting (locating a building within or near an existing community).
- Open Space Conservation – Discussion of land conservation and smart growth.
- Preservation of Existing and Historic Buildings – Discussion of how preservation and reuse of historic buildings supports sustainable communities.
- School Siting – Summary of how siting decisions for K-12 schools affect community growth and development.
- Small Towns and Rural Communities – Discussion of smart growth strategies that can help rural communities achieve their goals for growth and development while maintaining their distinctive rural character.
- Streets and Emergency Response – Discussion of how street design that meets smart growth goals can also meet emergency response goals.
- Transportation – Explains the connections between smart growth, transportation, and air quality.
- Water – Discussion of smart growth approaches that communities and developers can use to reduce stormwater runoff, protect water quality, and conserve water.