UIC Permits in the Pacific Southwest (Region 9)
- Community Involvement and Environmental Justice
- Open Comment Period
- Closed Comment Period
- Final UIC Permits
- Draft Permit - Application Withdrawn
Permit requirements can be found in 40 CFR parts 124, 144 and 146. Federal permits are required for all Class I, II, and III wells, and some Class V wells. For a permit application or related information, please call EPA Region 9 contacts or see the UIC Reporting Forms site. Region 9 states that have delegated programs have permit requirements that vary by jurisdiction and well type. Injection well owners are responsible for determining all applicable requirements.
Additional UIC information can be found at EPA's UIC Web site. For general questions, call the Safe Drinking Water Act Hotline at (800) 426-4791.
EPA is supporting national Environmental Justice (EJ) goals by inviting communities to provide input during the permit application review process. To support early engagement between permittees and overburdened communities, EPA's Region 9 office has developed an Environmental Justice and Permitting Implementation Plan which the region follows in processing applications for EPA-issued UIC permits. In addition, EPA has developed a community engagement guide for potential permitees, entitled Promising Practices for Permit Applicants Seeking EPA-Issued Permits: Ways to Engage Neighboring Communities. Exit
Any available public comment opportunity will appear here when available.
- Lahaina Wastewater Reclamation Facility: Draft UIC PermitEPA Archive
Lahaina Wastewater Reclamation Facility: Groundwater Tracer StudyEPA Archive
Comment Period Closed 9/21/2009
- Navajo Nation: Final Rule Making for Class II Underground Injection Control
- Newhall Land and Farming Company, Inc.
- El Centro Generating Station - Imperial Irrigation District
(Signed July 12, 2010, Minor Modification signed August 21, 2012)
- S.M.S. Briners, Inc.
- California Specialty Cheeses
- Hilmar Cheese Final Permit
(Signed January 9, 2006; Minor Modification signed May 22, 2008; Minor Modification No. 2 signed July 7, 2011)
- La Paloma Generating Co.
- Panoche Energy Center
- Northern California Power Agency
(Permit signed October 16, 2009, Minor Modification signed April 20, 2011, Minor Modification signed May 20, 2013)
- County of Santa Barbara - Laguna County Sanitation District
- Excelsior Mining Arizona Inc. Gunnison Copper Project
- Florence Copper, Inc. (FCI) Production Test Facility
- Morton Salt, Inc.
- Arizona Public Services UIC Experimental Class V Permit (Carbon Sequestration)
- Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation Experimental Class V Permit (Biosolids Injection)
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) King Island Gas Field
- Puna Geothermal Venture, Hawaii