An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Underground Injection Control (UIC)

UIC Permits in the Pacific Southwest (Region 9)

On this page:

Permit requirements can be found in 40 CFR parts 124, 144 and 146. Federal permits are required for all Class I, II, and III wells, and some Class V wells. For a permit application or related information, please call EPA Region 9 contacts or see the UIC Reporting Forms site. Region 9 states that have delegated programs have permit requirements that vary by jurisdiction and well type. Injection well owners are responsible for determining all applicable requirements.

Additional UIC information can be found at EPA's UIC Web site. For general questions, call the Safe Drinking Water Act Hotline at (800) 426-4791.

Community Involvement and Environmental Justice

EPA is supporting national Environmental Justice (EJ) goals by inviting communities to provide input during the permit application review process. To support early engagement between permittees and overburdened communities, EPA's Region 9 office has developed an Environmental Justice and Permitting Implementation Plan which the region follows in processing applications for EPA-issued UIC permits. In addition, EPA has developed a community engagement guide for potential permitees, entitled Promising Practices for Permit Applicants Seeking EPA-Issued Permits: Ways to Engage Neighboring Communities. Exit

Open Comment Period

Any available public comment opportunity will appear here when available.

Closed Comment Period

Final UIC Permits

Class I

Class III

Class V

Application Withdrawn

Top of Page