Ground Water Technical Support Center (GWTSC)
- Site Specific Technical Assistance
- Other Technical Support Centers
EPA's Ground Water Technical Support Center (GWTSC) links research to critical real-world problems and provides a testing ground for research that allows scientists to focus on high-priority problems. GWTSC consists of a broad base of scientists and engineers, with support from contractors and specialized consultants in order to provide an interdisciplinary support team. GWTSC also works with other EPA support centers as part of EPA's Technical Support Project.
GWTSC provides support for the following:
- Subsurface contamination
- Contaminant fluxes from groundwater to other media (e.g., surface water or air)
- Ecosystem restoration issues
GWTSC's structure allows for rapid response to requests for assistance, such as review of site-specific issues, and use of the most knowledgeable people in the environmental field. GWTSC provides the following technical support:
- Provide quick-response technical assistance to remedial project managers and other decision makers on problems that are site-specific.
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs)
- Ecosystem restoration
- Consultation and performance of treatability studies focused on the natural and enhanced remediation of subsurface contaminants.
- Provide support for models and model reviews for site-specific applications.
- Conduct workshops, seminars, and conferences on state-of-the-science issues.
- Provide specialized training courses.
- Development of Superfund, RCRA, and Brownfields issue papers, briefing documents, and summary papers.
- Dissemination of publications and technology-focused information packets.
- Core team of scientists and engineers providing a readily available source of interdisciplinary support.
- Broad scientific base of scientists and engineers specializing in groundwater and ecosystems.
- Expert technical support from associated universities and research institutions.
- Augmentation by a number of technology oriented firms, support contractors, and specialized consultants.
GWTSC has provided assistance at approximately 1,000 individual sites in all ten EPA Regions. This support has included the following:
- Technical guidance in site characterization and the selection of remedial or management alternatives.
- Review and interpretation of site-specific applications of various models.
- Assistance in review of the design, construction, implementation, and evaluation of remedial systems.
- Engineering solutions to control contaminant sources, including soils, sludges, sediments, and nonaqueous phase liquids.
- Review and performance of laboratory and field-scale treatability studies focused on the remediation of subsurface contaminants.
Director, Ground Water Technical Support Center