Online Training in Watershed Management
Watershed Academy Web, is the program's distance learning program. The website offers a variety of self-paced training modules that represent a basic and broad introduction to the watershed management field. The modules are organized by the six themes listed below. Modules vary in the time they take to complete, from ½ hour to two hours. Fifteen of them (marked with asterisks * below) are the core modules for the Watershed Academy Certificate Program.
These modules introduce the principles of the watershed approach and the value of working at a watershed level.
Watershed Ecology Modules
These modules show that watersheds are natural systems that provide benefits to people and the environment when they are kept in good condition.
* Introduction to Watershed Ecology | Printable Version (PDF)(37 pp, 1.8 MB)
* Protecting Instream Flows: How Much Water Does a River Need? | Printable Version (PDF)(22 pp, 1.2 MB)
* Stream Corridor Structure | Printable Version (PDF)(34 pp, 8.0 MB)
Birds: Bellwethers of Watershed Health | Printable Version (PDF)(24 pp, 1.7 MB)
Wetland Functions and Values | Printable Version (PDF)(23 pp, 1.3 MB)
Understanding Lake Ecology
The Role of Nearshore Ecosystems as Fish and Shellfish Nurseries
Watershed Change Modules
These modules describe both natural and human-induced changes in watersheds and compare normal changes with changes of concern.
* Understanding Climate Change Impacts on Water Resources | Printable Version (PDF)(53 pp, 7 MB)
Local Government Climate Adaptation Training Online Module
* Agents of Watershed Change | Printable Version (PDF)(49 pp, 3.2 MB)
Growth and Water Resources
* Nonpoint Source Pollution with Nitrogen and Phosphorus
Watersheds: Connecting Weather to the Environment
Weather and the Built Environment
Dealing with Drought
Invasive Non-Native Species
Excess Nitrogen in the U.S. Environment: Trends, Risks and Solutions
Biotic Invasions: Causes, Epidemiology, Global Consequences and Control
Effects of Aquaculture on World Fish Supplies
Analysis and Planning Modules
These modules address how watershed planning, monitoring and assessment are important first steps toward solving problems.
* Introduction to Watershed Planning | Printable Version (PDF)(46 pp, 2.5 MB)
* Overview of Watershed Monitoring | Printable Version (PDF)(33 pp, 4.3 MB)
Rapid Bioassessment Protocols | Printable Version (PDF)(34 pp, 2.1 MB)
Watershed Ecological Risk Assessment | Printable Version (PDF)(34 pp, 2.0 MB)
Watershed Modeling | Printable Version (PDF)(35 pp, 8.9 MB)
Fundamentals of Rosgen Stream Classification System
Training in Use of the National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) and NHDPlus
Management Practices Modules
These modules show how watershed management challenges such as urban runoff, cropland management, forestry and other issues are addressed by techniques that reduce environmental impacts.
* 8 Tools of Watershed Protection in Developing Areas | Printable Version (PDF)(30 pp, 2.7 MB)
* Agricultural Management Practices for Water Quality Protection | Printable Version (PDF)(54 pp, 2.7 MB)
*Forestry Best Management Practices in Watersheds | Printable Version (PDF)(47 pp, 4.9 MB)
Stream Corridor Restoration Tools
Restoration: What's Right or Wrong with This Picture?
Applying Ecological Principles to Management of the U.S. National Forests
Community and Social Modules
These modules cover social issues and communications. They concentrate on the human element of watershed management.
Sustainable Finance Module | Printable Version (PDF)(75 pp, 1.0 MB)
* Getting in Step: a Guide to Effective Outreach in Your Watershed | Printable Version (PDF)(49 pp, 2.4 MB)
* Top 10 Watershed Lessons Learned
Water in a Changing World
Statewide Watershed Management | Printable Version (PDF)(21 pp, 1.6 MB)
Grade K through 12 Watershed Learning Links
Water Law Modules
These modules cover relevant laws and regulations associated with watershed management.
* Introduction to the Clean Water Act | Printable Version (PDF)(90 pp, 4.99 MB), Spanish Version(101 pp, 4.8 MB)
Key Concepts of Water Quality Standards
Listing Impaired Waters and Developing TMDLs
Monitoring and Assessment
NPDES Permit Program
Human Health Ambient Water Quality Criteria
Aquatic Life Criteria
Aquatic Resources Awareness Course for Real Estate Appraisers | Printable Version (PDF)(26 pp, 342 K)