This document provides technical documentation of quality assurance and quality control procedures and approaches as a part of the ten volumes of the Emissions Inventory Improvement Program (EIIP) materials. These volumes provide standard procedures for calculating air emissions data with targeted quality objectives using cost effective approaches, but in some cases have become outdated.
“Volume 6 – Quality Assurance Procedures and DARS Software” provides a reference for identifying, improving, consolidating, and documenting quality assurance practices and procedures at all steps of the inventory and development review processes. While these documents were prepared long before the more modern electronic and internet-based inventory collection techniques, the volume still offers the groundwork and principles for emissions inventory quality assurance. Numerous ideas, checklists, and work practices are provided that can guide development of quality assurance methods using even the most up to date data collection approaches.
The DARS software is outdated and is no longer supported by the EPA (it ran on Windows 3.11 and Windows 95). This part of the volume has been removed.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Chapter 1 - Introduction: The Value of QA/QC (PDF)(16 pp, 101 K, January 1997)
- Chapter 2 - Planning and Documentation (PDF)(62 pp, 268 K, January 1997)
- Chapter 3 - General QA/QC Methods (PDF)(154 pp, 1 MB, June 1997)
- Chapter 4 - Evaluating the Uncertainty of Emission Estimates (PDF)(55 pp, 311 K, July 1996)
- Chapter 5 - Model QA Plan (PDF)(81 pp, 268 K, November 1996)
- Appendix A - Example Audit Report (PDF)(20 pp, 48 K, July 1996)
- Appendix B - Technical Systems Audit Checklist Example (PDF)(10 pp, 28 K, July 1996)
- Appendix C - Data Quality Audit Checklist (Example 1) (PDF)(10 pp, 27 K, July 1996)
- Appendix D -Data Quality Audit Checklist (Example 2) (PDF)(7 pp, 21 K, July 1996)
- Appendix E - Performance Evaluation Audit Checklist Example (PDF)(18 pp, 50 K, July 1996)