AMTIC - PM2.5 Monitoring Network
On this page:
- Sites and Data
- Quality Assurance and Other Guidance Documents
- Tools and Other Resources
The PM2.5 monitoring network consists of sites owned and operated by State, Local, and Tribal monitoring agencies and is comprised of manual Federal Reference Methods (FRMs) and automated continuous Federal Equivalent Methods (FEMs). The primary use of both types of methods is to assess compliance with the PM2.5 National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS). Since continuous FEMs are automated, they are also readily used to support forecasting and reporting of PM2.5 in the Air Quality Index (AQI). The requirements for monitoring PM2.5 can be found in 40 CFR part 58 Appendix D.
Sites and Data
The following links can be used to collect information on the number and locations of PM2.5 monitoring sites and to download monitoring data.
Quality Assurance and Other Guidance Documents
This section contains links to EPA guidance documents intended to assist monitoring agencies as they implement the PM2.5 monitoring requirements.
- Quality Assurance Guidance Document 2.12 - Monitoring PM2.5 in Ambient Air Using Designated Reference or Class I Equivalent Methods
- Implementing Continuous PM2.5 FEMs and Approved Regional Methods (ARMs) in State or Local Air Monitoring Station (SLAMS) Networks
- Parameter Codes Used to Report PM2.5 Continuous Monitor and Speciation Sampler Data to AQS
- Guidance for Network Design and Optimum Site Exposure for PM2.5 and PM10
- Holding Time Requirements for PM2.5 Filter Samples
- Instructions and Template for Requesting that data from PM2.5 Continuous FEMs are not compared to the NAAQS (docx)
- Data Quality Objectives (DQOs) for Relating Federal Reference Method (FRM) and Continuous PM2.5 Measurements to Report an Air Quality Index (AQI) (pdf)
This section contains links to guidance on methods used in the PM2.5 NAAQS monitoring network.
- Current List of Approved PM2.5 FRM/FEMs
- SOP for the Met One BAM-1020; Federal Equivalent Method EQPM-0308-170 for PM2.5
- SOP for the Thermo Scientific FDMS® 1405-DF; Federal Equivalent Method EQPM-0609-182 for PM2.5
- SOP for the Thermo Scientific 1400a Ambient Particulate Monitor with 8500C FDMS®; Federal Equivalent Method EQPM-0609-181 for PM2.5
- SOP for the Teledyne T640; Federal Equivalent Method EQPM-0516-236 for PM2.5
- SOP for the Teledyne T640x; Federal Equivalent Method EQPM-0516-238 for PM2.5