Below are the draft risk evaluation and supporting documents for 1,4-dioxane and a fact sheet on understanding the risk evaluation of 1,4-dioxane. Read the Federal Register notice announcing the availability of the draft risk evaluation.
It is important to note that for the general population, including children, environmental statutes administered by EPA such as the Clean Air Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, adequately assess and effectively manage risks from 1,4-dioxane.
In the June 2019 draft risk evaluation of 1,4-dioxane, EPA made the following initial determinations on risk. These initial determinations may change as our assessments become more refined through the public and peer review process.
- No unreasonable risks to occupational non-users. EPA found no unreasonable risks to workers in the general area of 1,4-dioxane use but not directly in contact with the chemical.
- Unreasonable risks to workers in certain circumstances. These initial determinations are based on a draft assessment of the reasonably available information and are not EPA’s final determinations on whether this chemical presents unreasonable risks under the conditions of use. The Agency will use feedback received from the public and peer review processes to inform the final risk evaluations.
- No unreasonable risk to the environment. For all the conditions of use included in the draft risk evaluation, EPA found no unreasonable risks to the environment from 1,4-dioxane.
The draft risk evaluation is available for public comment until August 30, 2019 in docket EPA-HQ-OPPT-2019-0238. This public comment period is an opportunity for you to submit any additional information to assist EPA in completing the final risk evaluation for 1,4-dioxane. EPA will consider all comments submitted on the draft risk evaluation when developing a final risk evaluation.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Draft Risk Evaluation for 1,4-Dioxane (PDF)(407 pp, 7 MB)
- Understanding the Risk Evaluation of 1,4-Dioxane (PDF)(2 pp, 91 K)
- Charge Questions to the SACC for Peer Review of 1,4-Dioxane (PDF)(5 pp, 150 K)
- Systematic Review Supplemental File: Updates to the Data Quality Criteria for Epidemiological Studies (PDF)(16 pp, 897 K)
- Systematic Review Supplemental File: Data Quality Evaluation for Environmental Releases and Occupational Exposure Data Sources (PDF)(168 pp, 2 MB)
- Systematic Review Supplemental File: Data Quality Evaluation of Environmental Hazard Studies (PDF)(22 pp, 953 K)
- Systematic Review Supplemental File: Data Quality Evaluation of Environmental Fate and Transport Studies (PDF)(12 pp, 907 K)
- Systematic Review Supplemental File: Data Quality Evaluation of Human Health Hazard Studies, Animal and In Vitro Studies (PDF)(108 pp, 1 MB)
- Systematic Review Supplemental File: Data Quality Evaluation of Epidemiological Studies (PDF)(23 pp, 973 K)
- Aquatic Exposure Screen Facility Information (PDF)(5 pp, 983 K)