Risk Evaluation for Pigment Violet 29 (Anthra[2,1,9-def:6,5,10-d’e’f’]diisoquinoline-1,3,8,10(2H,9H)-tetrone)
- CASRN: 81-33-4
- Initiated: December 19, 2016
- Dockets: EPA-HQ-OPPT-2016-0725 and EPA-HQ-OPPT-2018-0604
Pigment Violet 29 (Anthra[2,1,9-def:6,5,10-d'e'f'] diisoquinoline-1,3,8,10(2H,9H)-tetrone) (pigment violet 29) is a perylene derivative used to color materials and as an intermediate for other perylene pigments. Pigment violet 29 has many commercial uses including: automotive under paints and coatings, automobile and industrial carpeting, merchant inks for printing and packaging, odor agents, cleaning/washing agents, pharmaceuticals, solar cells, paper, architectural uses, polyester fibers, sporting goods, appliances, agricultural equipment and oil and gas pipelines. Pigment violet 29 is also used in consumer products including watercolors and acrylic paints.
On this page:
- Draft risk evaluation for pigment violet 29
- Problem Formulation for pigment violet 29 risk evaluation under amended TSCA
- Scope of pigment violet 29 risk evaluation under amended TSCA
This document presents EPA’s draft risk determination for pigment violet 29. The draft risk evaluation is available in docket EPA-HQ-OPPT-2018-0604 on www.regulations.gov and was open for an additional public comment period until July 10, 2019.
- Read the draft risk evaluation and updated systematic review documents for pigment violet 29 under amended TSCA.
- Supplemental information related to the draft risk evaluation, including updated systematic review documents, can be found in the Supporting Documents folder of docket EPA-HQ-OPPT-2018-0604 on www.regulations.gov.
- In March 2019, EPA released 24 studies on pigment violet 29 used by the Agency to develop the draft risk evaluation. View these studies.
This problem formulation refines the scope of the pigment violet 29 risk evaluation by clarifying the chemical uses that EPA expects to evaluate and describing how EPA expects to conduct the evaluation. This is an important interim step prior to completing and publishing the final risk evaluation.
This scope document includes the hazards, exposures, conditions of use, and the potentially exposed or susceptible subpopulations EPA expects to consider in its risk evaluation of pigment violet 29 conducted pursuant to TSCA Section 6(b)(4).
- Read the scope document for pigment violet 29 under amended TSCA
- View the supplemental files for the pigment violet 29 scope document:
After releasing the scope documents, the dockets for each of the first 10 chemicals were open for public comments. Read EPA’s Responses to Public Comments Received on the Scope Documents for the First Ten Chemicals for Risk Evaluation under TSCA. This document addresses cross-cutting public comments received in response to EPA publishing the scope documents.