Frequent Questions about Design Criteria and Implementing the Final Rule Regulating the Disposal of Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR)
EPA developed a list of responses to the many questions the Agency received about implementing the 2015 final CCR disposal rule. The questions that falls under the category of design criteria and its responses is below:
QUESTION: If plans for a vertical expansion over an existing CCR landfill are approved after the 180 day deadline for defining new CCR landfills, would the vertical expansion be subject to the requirements for new CCR landfills?
RESPONSE: No. Vertical expansions of existing CCR landfills are not subject to the requirements for new CCR landfills.
Do you want to read all of the 2015 final rule implementation questions at once? Check out the complete list in PDF format.
Amendments to the 2015 final rule have been finalized that may affect these frequent questions. Additionally, these frequent questions have not been updated since Congress passed the Water Infrastructure Improvements for the Nation (WIIN) Act that paves the way for state coal ash permit programs. Please refer to the following rulemakings and the WIIN Act for more information:
- Extension of Compliance Deadlines and Response to Partial Vacatur
- Amendments to the National Minimum Criteria Finalized in 2018 (Phase One, Part One)
- Final Rule - A Holistic Approach to Closure Part A: Deadline to Initiate Closure and Enhancing Public Access to Information
- Final Rule - A Holistic Approach to Closure Part B: Alternate Liner Demonstration
- State CCR permit programs and the WIIN Act