List of Frequent Questions about Implementing the Final Rule Regulating the Disposal of Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR)
Amendments to the 2015 final rule have been finalized that may affect these frequent questions. Additionally, these frequent questions have not been updated since Congress passed the Water Infrastructure Improvements for the Nation (WIIN) Act that paves the way for state coal ash permit programs. Please refer to the following rulemakings and the WIIN Act for more information:
- Extension of Compliance Deadlines and Response to Partial Vacatur
- Amendments to the National Minimum Criteria Finalized in 2018 (Phase One, Part One)
- Final Rule - A Holistic Approach to Closure Part A: Deadline to Initiate Closure and Enhancing Public Access to Information
- Final Rule - A Holistic Approach to Closure Part B: Alternate Liner Demonstration
- State CCR permit programs and the WIIN Act
EPA developed a list of responses to the many questions the Agency received about implementing the 2015 final CCR disposal rule. The questions and Agency responses are organized into categories similar to the sections of the CCR regulatory requirements such as scope and purpose, definitions, location restrictions and groundwater monitoring, corrective action, etc.
Below is a PDF of all of the questions so they can be viewed in one place. These questions can also be found online.