Each year EPA releases the Advancing Sustainable Materials Management: Facts and Figures Fact Sheet, formerly called Municipal Solid Waste in the United States: Facts and Figures. It includes information on Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) generation, recycling, composting, combustion with energy recovery and landfilling. The 2014 factsheet also includes information on construction and demolition debris generation, which is outside of the scope of MSW.You may need a PDF reader to view files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- 2014 Facts and Figures Fact Sheet (PDF)(22 pp, 2 MB)
2014 Data Tables (PDF)(69 pp, 7 MB)
Note: As of January 4, 2017, a slightly revised set of 2014 Data Tables has been posted. Changes occur only on Table 4, page 4 to correct some transcription errors.
- 2013 Facts and Figures Fact Sheet (PDF)(22 pp, 2 MB)
- 2013 Facts and Figures Full Report (PDF)(186 pp, 13 MB)
- 2012 Facts and Figures Fact Sheet (PDF)(14 pp, 1 MB)
- 2012 Data Tables (PDF)(63 pp, 2 MB)
- Methodology for MSW Characterization Numbers (PDF)(12 pp, 80 K)
- Methodology for Estimating MSW Recycling Benefits (PDF)(11 pp, 165 K)
- Methodology Document for Selected Municipal Solid Waste Products (PDF)(49 pp, 1 MB, April 2015)