Updated Engineering Reviews for Renewable Fuel and Foreign Ethanol Producers
This page will assist renewable fuel and foreign ethanol producers in completing their updated engineering review (ER) obligations under EPA’s Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS). This covers both updated 3-year ERs and updated ERs related to facility changes.
- Producers should use this page in conjunction with the regulations, not in lieu of reading the regulations.
- For a full description of the updated 3-year engineering review (ER) report requirements, see: Title 40 CFR Part 80.1450(d)(3)
- For a full description of the updated ER report requirements related to facility changes, see: Title 40 CFR Part 80.1450(d)(1)
- Updated ER reports may no longer be submitted by mail and MUST be submitted electronically. See the step-by-step instructions for more details.
- As of April 1, 2018, updated ER reports must be submitted in OTAQREG using the ER web form by the third-party independent professional engineer (PE).
- User Guide for Engineering Review Web Forms in OTAQREG
- The PE must be registered in CDX and associated with the company in OTAQREG to complete and submit the ER web form. For instructions, see: User Associations for Part 80 Fuel Programs.
- All producers of renewable fuel and foreign ethanol producers are required to submit an independent third-party ER report at registration and an updated ER report by January 31 of every third calendar year thereafter.
- For example, a renewable fuel facility initially registered in 2010 is required to submit a 3-year update by January 31 of 2013, 2016, 2019, and so on.
- To help provide clarity, the EPA has compiled a list of registered renewable fuel and foreign ethanol production facilities and a schedule for when updated 3-year ER reports are due. To view 3-year ER report due dates, see: Schedule for Three-year Update Reports for Engineering Reviews (ERs).
- All producers of renewable fuel and foreign ethanol producers are required to submit an updated ER report when they make a change to the fuel production information at the facility.
- If a renewable fuel or foreign ethanol producer submits an updated ER report with a VRIN analysis to EPA for a facility in the calendar year preceding the scheduled updated 3-year ER report due date, EPA will accept it in place of the updated 3-year ER report. Please contact the Fuels Program Helpdesk in the following January to confirm that submission as the 3-year ER report.
Step 1: Assemble required materials.
Step 2: Obtain an engineering review from third-party professional engineer (PE).
Step 3: PE reviews VRIN calculations.
Step 4: Update any outdated registration information.
- For more information about generating CRs, read Section 7: User Guide for Registering in EPA Fuel Programs
- If the RCO has e-signature capabilities, he/she should e-sign the Company Update CR to compete this step in the process: User Guide to OTAQREG for RCOs
- If the RCO does NOT have e-signature capabilities, print and mail the wet-signed Company Update CR pages to: EPA's Fuel Programs Mailing Addresses