You are here:
Lead Abatement Program: Training and Certification Program for Lead-based Paint Activities (TSCA sections 402/404)
EPA’s Lead Abatement Program regulations provide a framework for lead abatement, risk assessment, and inspections. Those performing these services are required to be trained and certified by EPA or an authorized State. Training providers must be accredited and teach approved curricula. States may, upon approval, receive authorization to carry out their own program in lieu of the federal program.
- Title: Lead; Requirements for Lead-Based Paint Activities in Target Housing and Child-Occupied Facilities; Final Rule (August 29, 1996) (PDF) (54 pp, 353K, About PDF)
- Tracking numbers
- Docket number: OPPTS-62128B; FRL-5389-9
- RIN: 2070-AC64
- Current phase: Final Rule Published
Does this regulation apply to me?
This regulation ensures that individuals conducting lead-based paint abatement, risk assessment, or inspection are properly trained and certified, that training programs are accredited, and that these activities are conducted according to reliable, effective and safe work practice standards.
How do I comply?
Read about what steps you can take to apply for certification, find a training course, become an accredited trainer, and more.
The federal program became fully effective on March 1, 2000.
Get the Basics
To find a certified lead abatement contractor, risk assessor, or lead inspector in your area, or to report a suspected violation of EPA’s lead abatement rules, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (5323)
History of the Regulation
- Fact Sheet - Final Rule Establishing Notification Requirements for Lead-Based Paint Abatement Activities and Training (PDF)
- Sample Notification Forms in Fillable PDF format — These forms are fillable and can be completed at your computer, or printed to be completed by hand. Once the form is finished sign the completed copy and send it to EPA following these instructions (PDF) .
Amendment to Final Rule: Lead; Requirements for Lead-Based Paint Activities in Target Housing and Child-Occupied Facilities; Certification Requirement and Work Practice Standards for Individuals and Firms (8/6/99)
Proposed Rules and Other Notices
Information: Press Releases, Fact Sheets, Q/As, etc.
Policy and Guidance