SepticSmart Week 2018
Each year, EPA holds SepticSmart Week with outreach activities to encourage homeowners and communities to care for and maintain their septic systems.
During SepticSmart Week, EPA seeks to inform homeowners on proper septic system care and maintenance, assist local agencies in promoting homeowner education and awareness, and educate local decision makers about infrastructure options to improve and sustain their communities.
SepticSmart Week 2018
September 17-21, 2018
This annual event focuses on educating homeowners and communities on the proper care and maintenance of their septic systems.
- View SepticSmart Week 2018 Highlights - Activities during SepticSmart Week 2018 included state and association issued SepticSmart Week proclamations, social media posts, and tribal, community, and state outreach efforts.
- View and download the SepticSmart Week 2018 Announcement
- Download the SepticSmart Week 2018 Seal
- "Spring" postcard - Remind your community to do preventative system maintenance this spring.
Join the effort to raise awareness by:
- Hosting an event or training
- Sharing SepticSmart materials
- Scheduling service for your system
- Declaring a SepticSmart proclamation
- Getting your local and state decision makers involved
- Participating in the conversation on social media #SepticSmartWeek
SepticSmart Week Proclamations
Check out the states and leaders who have declared SepticSmart Week 2018 in their communities:
- Groundwater Protection CouncilExit
- Governor C.L. "Butch" Otter, State of Idaho
- Governor Eric Holcomb, State of Indiana
- Mr. Kevin Overmyer, Mr. Mike Delp, and Mr. Kurt Garner, Commissioners, Marshall County, Indiana
- Governor Lawrence Hogan, Jr., State of Maryland
- Governor Rick Snyder, State of Michigan
- Mr. Arthur Pelon, President, Michigan Association of Conservation Districts
- Mr. Larry Stephens, President, Michigan Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association
- Mr. Dave Snyder, President, Michigan Septic Tank Association
- Governor Mark Dayton, State of Minnesota
- Mr. Vincent Radke, President, National Environmental Health Association
- Governor Roy Cooper, State of North Carolina
- Governor Kate Brown, State of Oregon
- Mr. Nathan Ohle, Executive Director, Rural Community Assistance Partnership
- Ms. Mary Clark, President, State Onsite Regulators Association
- Governor Philip Scott, State of Vermont
- Governor Ralph Northam, Commonwealth of Virginia
- Governor Jay Inslee, State of Washington
Do you know of any parks, campgrounds, highway rest stops, or similar facilities, that use a septic system for their public restrooms? What about a restaurant on a site that is served by a septic system?
Use these informative posters to print and hang up outside of these facilities to illustrate the importance of safe waste disposal practices for those individuals or employees who might visit, or work at, a park, campground, rest stop, or restaurant that is served by a septic system.
- Visit our Outreach Toolkit for more SepticSmart materials targeted to homeowners. All materials are free for download and contain print recommendations.
How State and Local Governments Promote and Proclaim SepticSmart Week
- Kevin O'Donovan, MDB, Inc.
- Zach Lowenstein, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Wastewater Managment
- Jeremy Simmons, Washington Department of Health
- Gene McCabe, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
Susan Mihalo, Town of Ogden Dunes, Indiana