Chronic Toxicity to Marine and Estuarine Organisms
40 CFR 136.3, Table I–A.This manual describes six short-term (one-hour to nine-day) methods for estimating the chronic toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to five species. These rules do not apply to discharges into marine waters of the Pacific Ocean. The methods are approved under Clean Water Act section 304(h) and specified at
The complete manual and individual method documents are provided. The individual methods are included in the manual.
You may need Adobe Reader to view files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Short-term Methods for Estimating the Chronic Toxicity of Effluents and Receiving Waters to Marine and Estuarine Organisms; 3rd ed. (PDF)(486 pp, 7 MB, October 2002, 821-R-02-014)
- 1004.0: Sheepshead Minnow, Cyprinodon variegatus, Larval Survival and Growth Test; Chronic Toxicity (PDF)(63 pp, 1 MB, October 2002)
- 1005.0: Sheepshead Minnow, Cyprinodon variegatus, Embryo-Larval Survival and Teratogenicity Test; Chronic Toxicity (PDF)(39 pp, 606 K, October 2002)
- 1006.0: Inland Silverside, Menidia beryllina, Larval Survival and Growth Test; Chronic Toxicity (PDF)(60 pp, 1 MB, October 2002)
- 1007.0: Mysid, Mysidopsis bahia, Survival, Growth, and Fecundity Test; Chronic Toxicity (PDF)(80 pp, 2 MB, October 2002)
- 1008.0: Sea Urchin, Arbacia punctulata, Fertilization Test; Chronic Toxicity (PDF)(40 pp, 551 K, October 2002)