Waste, Chemical and Cleanup Enforcement Policy, Guidance and Publications
This section provides policy and guidance documents related to the enforcement related to pollution by waste, chemical, and cleanup sites.
On this page:
- Waste Policy & Guidance Documents
- Chemical Policy & Guidance Documents
- Cleanup Enforcement Policy & Guidance, Models, and Publications
Waste - Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
Guidance on RCRA Overfilling - 05/19/86
Interim Status Under Section 3005(e) of RCRA - 03/14/81
Land Disposal Requirements
Sludges and Wastewater Mixtures - 09/13/99
- 2021 RCRA Expedited Settlement Agreement Pilot - September 15, 2021 (pdf)
- Revision to Adjusted Penalty Policy Matrices Package issued November 16, 2009 - (4/6/10)
Chemical Policy and Guidance Documents
Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)
Chemical Accident Prevention [CAA Section 112 (r)]
- Use of Expedited Settlements in Addressing Violations of the Clean Air Act Chemical Accident Prevention Provisions - 01/05/04
Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know (EPCRA)
Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
New and Existing Chemicals
Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
Good Laboratory Practice
Agency policy and guidance on the federal authority to implement the cleanup and corrective action enforcement programs for the following statutes:
Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA, commonly referred to as Superfund)
- Superfund Enforcement Policy and Guidance Documents - collection of policy and guidance documents on enforcement, liability, negotiation, and settlement procedures under the Superfund statute.
- Cleanup Enforcement Model Language and Sample Documents Database - developed under the authority of the Superfund and RCRA statutes available for downloading in Word format.
- Superfund Enforcement reports and publications - collection of reports, manual, factsheets, and training videos on enforcement, liability, potentially responsible parties, negotiations, and Superfund alternative approach under the Superfund statute.
Resource Conservations and Recovery Act
- Policy and Guidance Documents - collection of enforcement guidance on the use of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) authority to conduct corrective action and to address cleanup of leaking underground storage tanks.
- Cleanup Enforcement Model Language and Sample Documents Database - developed under the authority of the RCRA and Superfund statutes available for downloading in Word format.
- Reports and publications - collection of reports on corrective action enforcement under RCRA.
Addressing Liability Concerns to Support Cleanup and Reuse of Contaminated Lands
- Policy and Guidance Documents - access to liability, prospective purchaser, contaminated aquifers, and other policy and guidance documents associated with addressing liability concerns to support cleanup and reuse of contaminated lands.
- Reports and publications - collection of reports, manuals, and factsheets on landowner liability protections, state and local government acquisition of contaminated property, and enforcement tools to promote cleanup and reuse of contaminated lands
- Cleanup and Reuse Success Stories: Cleanup Enforcement Benefit Communities - success stories highlight the cleanup enforcement program's efforts to clean up contaminated sites and work with responsible parties, communities, state and local governments, and other stakeholders to protect human health and the environment and bring about economic, recreational, and habitat improvements.