Tools and Resources for Homeland Security Incidents
Numerous resources exist to help communities plan for waste management and homeland security incidents.
On this page:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Resource
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Resources
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Resource
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Resources
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Resource
- Planning for Natural Disaster Debris Guidance — helps communities create disaster debris management plans.
- Planning for Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB)-containing Debris — provides detailed information on the management of PCB-containing disaster debris in emergency situations that arise from natural disasters.
- National Homeland Security Research Center's Incident Waste Decision Support Tool (I-WASTE DST) Exit— allows users to create an incident planning and/or response record and provides access to a waste estimator, treatment and disposal facility databases and waste management-related guidance and documents (free, registration required).
- Large-Scale Residential Demolition — assists local governments with requirements and good practices, including planning, reuse and recycling opportunities and funding and compliance assistance.
- EPA Region 5's Disaster Debris Recovery Database — generates an interactive map that provides information and locations of over 3500 recyclers and other waste management companies throughout Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin capable of managing disaster debris or demolition debris.
- Bio-Response Operational Testing and Evaluation (BOTE) Project — a multi-agency effort designed to operationally test and evaluate, at the scale of a moderately sized building, a response to a Bacillus anthracis spore release from initial public health and law enforcement investigation through environmental remediation.
- 2012 Wide Area Recovery and Resiliency Program (WARRP) Waste Management Workshop — sought to advance the planning of federal, state and local officials in the area of waste management following a chemical, biological or radiological wide-area incident in the Denver, Colorado urban area. This report provides a summary of the participants, presentations and discussions during the two-day workshop.
Carcass Management During Avian Influenza Outbreaks — explains the impact that Avian Influenza has on carcass management, including information on carcass management oversight, possible management options, environmental concerns and disinfection.
- National Disaster Recovery Framework
- National Response Framework
- National Prevention Framework
- National Protection Framework
- National Mitigation Framework
- Enhanced Tools and Techniques to Support Debris Management in Disaster Response Missions(56 pp, 1.5 MB, About PDF)
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service’s Emergency Response website
- Food Safety and Inspection Service’s Food Defense and Emergency Response website