Tools and Resources for Homeland Security Incidents
Numerous resources exist to help communities plan for waste management and homeland security incidents.
On this page:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Resource
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Resources
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Resource
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Resources
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Resource
- Planning for Natural Disaster Debris Guidance — helps communities create disaster debris management plans.
- Planning for Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB)-containing Debris — provides detailed information on the management of PCB-containing disaster debris in emergency situations that arise from natural disasters.
- National Homeland Security Research Center's Incident Waste Decision Support Tool (I-WASTE DST) Exit— allows users to create an incident planning and/or response record and provides access to a waste estimator, treatment and disposal facility databases and waste management-related guidance and documents (free, registration required).
- Large-Scale Residential Demolition — assists local governments with requirements and good practices, including planning, reuse and recycling opportunities and funding and compliance assistance.
- EPA Region 5's Disaster Debris Recovery Database — generates an interactive map that provides information and locations of over 6,800 recyclers and other waste management companies throughout 13 states capable of managing disaster debris or demolition debris.
- Bio-Response Operational Testing and Evaluation (BOTE) Project — a multi-agency effort designed to operationally test and evaluate, at the scale of a moderately sized building, a response to a Bacillus anthracis spore release from initial public health and law enforcement investigation through environmental remediation.
- 2012 Wide Area Recovery and Resiliency Program (WARRP) Waste Management Workshop — sought to advance the planning of federal, state and local officials in the area of waste management following a chemical, biological or radiological wide-area incident in the Denver, Colorado urban area. This report provides a summary of the participants, presentations and discussions during the two-day workshop.
Carcass Management During Avian Influenza Outbreaks — explains the impact that Avian Influenza has on carcass management, including information on carcass management oversight, possible management options, environmental concerns and disinfection.
- National Disaster Recovery Framework
- National Response Framework
- National Prevention Framework
- National Protection Framework
- National Mitigation Framework
- Enhanced Tools and Techniques to Support Debris Management in Disaster Response Missions(56 pp, 1.5 MB, About PDF)
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service’s Emergency Response website
- Food Safety and Inspection Service’s Food Defense and Emergency Response website