S.H. Bell Chicago Facility
Update - March 2019
S.H. Bell Chicago Air Monitoring Data.) Since EPA issued the S.H. Bell Chicago Notice of Violation - August 2017 (PDF) (5pp, 648K, About PDF) and engaged in settlement negotiations with S.H. Bell, the average manganese concentration between September 2017 through July 2018 (11 months) is 0.089 µg/m3. That is below the minimal risk level for chronic inhalation exposure to manganese, which is 0.3 μg/m3.U.S. EPA staff continues to inspect S.H. Bell’s Chicago facility to confirm the company is complying with federal and state regulations. S.H. Bell is operating and maintaining air monitors at the facility. EPA reviews and publishes the results of the monitoring each month. (For the latest data, see
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency plans to clean up residential yards containing excessive manganese in Chicago’s southeast side near the S.H. Bell facility. The city of Chicago asked the federal Agency in 2018 to evaluate soil pollution near the facility in the area between the Calumet River to the west, South Ewing Avenue to the east, 100th Street to the north and 104th Street to the south. U.S. EPA sampled more than 100 yards for heavy metals including manganese and lead.
U.S. EPA reached out to homeowners within the boundaries in 2018 to obtain permission to sample their yards. The agency mailed all property owners their validated results from the sampling. The community involvement coordinator also contacted homeowners in English and Spanish to explain their results and how to best protect their families from potential lead and manganese contamination.
Validated data results from EPA’s soil sampling study for this site are now available.
U.S. EPA has been studying air in Chicago’s East side since 2013 in response to residents’ concerns about the area’s long industrial history. The agency has inspected the S.H. Bell Company facility, which is located in the neighborhood, several times since 2014. As a result, the company has installed a particulate matter ambient air monitoring network on site. S. H. Bell Company handles, stores and processes industrial materials, including metals. EPA is committed to investigating sources of pollution, fugitive dust, and toxic metals in Southeast Chicago, including conducting inspections, issuing Section 114 Information Requests, and taking appropriate enforcement action. (Learn about EPA enforcement in The Clean Air Act in a Nutshell: How It Works (PDF) (23 pp, 250 K, March 22, 2013)
EPA continues to work with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry to review all the 2018 soil sampling data and evaluate possible cleanup levels and cleanup actions. The agency conducted residential soil sampling in response to a request from the City of Chicago received in April 2018. Earlier that year, the City of Chicago Department of Public Health had collected limited soil samples in right-of-way areas near the S.H. Bell facility, and some sample results indicated elevated manganese levels.
U.S. EPA interviewed residents and community advocates during the summer of 2018 to identify and address community concerns that relate to the facility’s impact on the community. The agency is developing a community involvement plan to program appropriate outreach and informational activities as it continues its work in the neighborhood in the coming months.
Advice for Residents
- Information on manganese from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
- Información sobre el manganeso de la Agencia para Sustancias Tóxicas y el Registro de Enfermedades
- Learn about Lead
- Información sobre el plomo
- Growing Gardens in Urban SoilsExit
- Cultivando Huertos en Suelos Urbanos(12pp, 5.6MB, About PDF)
- EPA Plans Yard Cleanups for Excessive Manganese (PDF) (2 pp, 371.2 KB)
- EPA Set to Sample Soil in Southeast Chicago Area (PDF) (2 pp, 995.11 KB)
- EPA inicia muestreo de tierra en el sureste de Chicago (PDF) (2 pp, 995.26 KB)
- EPA to Begin Targeted Assessment of Manganese in Soil Near S.H. Bell Facility in Chicago
- EPA Work Continues Near Southeast Chicago Facility Fact Sheet – English/Spanish - May 2018
- Access Agreements English/Spanish
- S.H. Bell Site Boundary Map
- S.H. Bell Section 114 Information Request - February 2018
- Bilingual Case Status Fact Sheet - English/Spanish
- S.H. Bell Chicago Air Monitoring Data
- S.H. Bell Chicago Inspection Reports and Photos
- S.H. Bell Notice of Violation - August 2017
- EPA Cites S.H. Bell for Manganese Air Pollution in Chicago
- S. H. Bell Complaint - August 2016
- Settlement and Final Consent Order - August 2016
- S.H. Bell Section 114 Information Request - March 2015
- S.H. Bell Notice of Violation - July 2014