Innovation at EPA
The exploration and testing of new and potentially transformative approaches to protecting human health and the environment.
Make A Market Tech Challenge
Transform your ideas into a marketing strategy to help expand real-world environmental technologies!
EPA Vision for Participatory Science
EPA envisions a future where all parts of society are increasingly engaged and empowered to help advance scientific knowledge and inform environmental protection actions.
Innovation Programs at EPA
Challenges and prizes represent tools for EPA to find solutions by tapping into the ingenuity and creativity of crowds. EPA outlines the specifications and criteria for a problem, and the public can submit its ideas for successful solutions.
P3 is a unique competition open to teams of college/university students working to design solutions for a sustainable future. This annual research grants program challenges students to develop innovative projects that address real world challenges.
EPA is one of 11 federal agencies that participate in the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program. EPA's program focuses on developing and commercializing innovative technologies that address the Agency's mission.
EPA supports participatory science initiatives via developing and funding projects, creating usable apps, and providing tools and resources for people conducting their own participatory science projects.
Pathfinder Innovation Projects challenge EPA scientists to answer the question, "Wouldn't it be amazing if we could ... ?" The internal competition provides staff the resources to pursue high-risk, high-reward research ideas.
Learn how EPA conducts collaborative research with external partners, protects intellectual property, and licenses EPA’s technologies through the Federal Technology Transfer Act program.
Science Matters Articles on Innovation
- EPA and USDA Leading Effort to Innovate the Next Generation of Industrial Fertilizers
- EPA Partners with Tribes to Deploy Air Sensors in Communities
- From Challenge & Prize Competition to Test Prototype: The Nitrogen Sensor That Could Change Residential Onsite Wastewater Treatment
- EPA Researchers Develop Tool That Predicts How Organic Chemicals Transform in Different Environments
- 10 Years of Innovative Stormwater Solutions: The Campus RainWorks Challenge Brings the Next Generation of Environmentalists to the Table