MOVES Training Sessions
EPA has presented various webinars and training courses to assist users with MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES) software and inputs. Materials from these trainings are available here for reference.
Subscribe to the MOVES Listserv to receive notification of upcoming webinars and courses.
On this page:
- MOVES3 Introduction and Overview Webinar
- Hands-on Training Course
- Project Level Training for Quantitative PM Hotspot Analysis
- Webinars for Older MOVES Versions:
This webinar describes how MOVES3 differs from MOVES2014b. Topics covered include new content in MOVES3, improvements in the user interface, built-in MOVES tools, and other MOVES3 resources including the EPA report, Overview of EPA’s MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES3) (PDF) (52 pp, 1.1 MB, EPA-420-R-21-004, March 2021, About PDF), released March 2021.
This introduction to MOVES3 was presented on December 8, 2020.
MOVES2014b 2-Day Hands-On Training Course for New MOVES Users
Note: EPA will be updating this course for MOVES3; meanwhile, this MOVES2014b course is still largely applicable to MOVES3.
EPA developed this detailed, two-day, hands-on course for state and local agency staff who will use MOVES2014b for developing emissions inventories for SIP and conformity analyses. The course is designed to be self-taught in periods where no classes are scheduled, or travel budget constraints prevent attending an EPA sponsored course. Users can work through the modules and hands-on exercises at their convenience.
This training assumes that modelers already have successfully installed MOVES and MySQL Workbench. Note that 2020-and-later installations of MOVES2014b and MOVES3 use MariaDB instead of MySQL and use the Heidi database administration tool instead of Workbench.
Dates and Locations of Upcoming Training Courses
All MOVES training courses are free of charge.
- There are no MOVES trainings currently scheduled.
EPA has developed a multi-day training course in accordance with EPA’s “Transportation Conformity Guidance for Quantitative Hot-spot Analyses in PM2.5 and PM10 Nonattainment and Maintenance Areas”. This technical, hands-on course is geared toward state and local agency staff and focuses on using emission models (including EPA's MOVES model) and EPA's air quality model (AERMOD) for quantitative PM hot-spot analyses.
See Transportation Conformity Training and Presentations for more detailed information on this course including training dates and locations, as well as other webinars and presentations on this guidance.
MOVES2014a: Introduction and New Features
MOVES2014 for Experienced Users
This webinar assumes a basic knowledge of previous versions of MOVES, and focuses on what has changed from MOVES2010 to MOVES2014. Information in this webinar is useful for users of MOVES2014a as well. We presented this webinar in September and October 2014.
- This webinar includes:
- a demonstration of the conversion of MOVES2010b input files to MOVES2014 format
- changes to the MOVES GUI
- new input options in MOVES2014 for fuels, retrofits, and start and hotelling activity.
- MOVES2014 for Experienced Users, September 2014 Webinar Slides
MOVES2014 at the Project Level for Experienced Users
This webinar assumes a basic knowledge of previous versions of MOVES, and focuses on what has changed from MOVES2010 to MOVES2014. Information in this webinar is useful for users of MOVES2014a as well. We presented this webinar in October 2014.
- This webinar covers:
- the changes made within MOVES that enhance the model at the project scale
- changes to the MOVES2014 graphical user interface at the project scale
- how to convert a MOVES2010b project-level input file to MOVES2014 format
- new input options at the project scale
- MOVES2014 at the Project Level for Experienced Users, October 2014 Webinar Slides
This webinar is based on MOVES2010 but contains information that is still useful for later MOVES versions.
MOVES Batch Mode: Setting up and running groups of related MOVES run specifications
- MOVES Batch Mode: Setting Up and Running Groups of Related MOVES Run Specifications, November 2010 Webinar Slides
- Example files used in the demonstration: