MOVES Training Sessions
EPA has presented various webinars and training courses to assist users with MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES) software and inputs, and makes presentation slides available here for future reference.
Subscribe to the MOVES Listserv to receive notification of upcoming webinars and courses.
- Hands-on Training Course
For Excel files, Free Viewers are available.
MOVES2014a: Introduction and New Features
MOVES2014 for Experienced Users
This webinar assumes a basic knowledge of previous versions of MOVES, and focuses on what has changed from MOVES2010 to MOVES2014. Information in this webinar is useful for users of MOVES2014a as well. We presented this webinar in September and October, 2014.
- This webinar includes:
- a demonstration of the conversion of MOVES2010b input files to MOVES2014 format
- changes to the MOVES GUI
- new input options in MOVES2014 for fuels, retrofits, and start and hotelling activity.
- MOVES2014 for Experienced Users, September 2014 Webinar Slides
MOVES2014 at the Project Level for Experienced Users
This webinar assumes a basic knowledge of previous versions of MOVES, and focuses on what has changed from MOVES2010 to MOVES2014. Information in this webinar is useful for users of MOVES2014a as well. We presented this webinar in October, 2014.
- This webinar covers:
- the changes made within MOVES that enhance the model at the project scale
- changes to the MOVES2014 graphical user interface at the project scale
- how to convert a MOVES2010b project-level input file to MOVES2014 format
- new input options at the project scale
- MOVES2014 at the Project Level for Experienced Users, October 2014 Webinar Slides
The following webinars are based on MOVES2010 but contain information that is still useful for MOVES2014.
MOVES Batch Mode: Setting up and running groups of related MOVES run specifications
- MOVES Batch Mode: Setting Up and Running Groups of Related MOVES Run Specifications, November 2010 Webinar Slides
- Example files used in the demonstration:
Introduction to MOVES2010
MOVES2014a 2-Day Hands-On Training Course for New MOVES Users
EPA developed this detailed, two-day, hands-on course for state and local agency staff who will use MOVES2014a for developing emissions inventories for SIP and conformity analyses. The course is designed to be self-taught in periods where no classes are scheduled, or travel budget constraints prevent attending an EPA sponsored course. Users can work through the modules and hands-on exercises at their convenience.
Please note that this course is intended for new users of MOVES. If you have already taken MOVES2010 or MOVES2014 training and are familiar with the basic operation of MOVES, please refrain from signing up for this course to leave course spaces open for new users.
- MOVES2014a Two-Day Training: Course Materials and Instructions (ZIP)(18 MB, July 2017)
- Course attendee expectations:
- Arrive at the course with your own laptop computer with the latest version of MOVES2014a already installed and tested.
- Be sure to install MySQL Workbench when prompted during the MOVES installation process.
- Give yourself adequate time to install MOVES prior to leaving for the course as the course instructors do not have time to help with installation or to resolve any installation problems on the day of the course.
- Download the MOVES training materials (presentations and files needed for course exercises) to a folder on the desktop of your laptop computer.
- The laptop you bring will also need to have MS Excel or some other Excel compatible spreadsheet software installed.
- Many course attendees also find it helpful to bring a notebook with the course presentations to annotate during the course.
Dates and Locations of Upcoming Training Courses
August 14-15, 2017: Baltimore, MD at the 2017 International Emission Inventory Conference
Conference registration is required to sign up for this course. Conference registration information can be found at: www.commentcounts.com/emission-inventory-conference/ Exit
Note: This training is part of the Emission Inventory Conference and some material will be abbreviated somewhat to fit into the shorter 1.5-day format available at the conference.
September 20-21, 2017: Denver, CO
Contact: Chris Dresser, US EPA, email@example.com
Completed MOVES2014a Training
- October 2016, Ann Arbor, MI
- November 2016, Seattle, WA
- July 2017, Ann Arbor, MI
EPA and DOT have developed a multi-day training course in accordance with EPA’s “Transportation Conformity Guidance for Quantitative Hot-spot Analyses in PM2.5 and PM10 Nonattainment and Maintenance Areas”. This technical, hands-on course is geared toward state and local agency staff and focuses on using emission models (including EPA's MOVES model) and air quality models (AERMOD and CAL3QHCR) for quantitative PM hot-spot analyses.
See Transportation Conformity Training and Presentations for more detailed information on this course including training dates and locations, as well as other webinars and presentations on this guidance.