Latest Version of MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES)
MOVES3: Latest Version of Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator
EPA's MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES) is a state-of-the-science emission modeling system that estimates emissions for mobile sources at the national, county, and project level for criteria air pollutants, greenhouse gases, and air toxics.
To cite MOVES3 in general:
USEPA (2020) Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator: MOVES3. Office of Transportation and Air Quality. US Environmental Protection
Agency. Ann Arbor, MI. November 2020. https://www.epa.gov/moves.
To cite the latest MOVES version:
Go to the GitHub site and click on “Cite this repository” on the About menu.
MOVES3 is now the latest official version of MOVES and has been updated and improved from the previous version by:
- Incorporating the latest data on vehicle populations, travel activity, and emission rates as well as updated fuel supply information at the county level.
- Adjusting modeling to better account for vehicle starts, long-haul truck hotelling, and off-network idling.
- Incorporating the impacts of the Heavy-Duty Greenhouse Gas Phase 2 rule and the Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule.
- Improving the user interface to make the model easier to use and updating the platform for compatibility with newer software.
These updates ensure that MOVES3 is a state-of the-science model to estimate motor vehicle emissions and the most accurate tool for estimating emissions from the transportation sector for most purposes.
- Overview of EPA’s MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES3) (PDF) (52 pp, 1.1 MB, March 2021, EPA-420-R-21-004) provides a high-level overview of MOVES3, including references to technical documentation and other MOVES information.
- EPA Releases MOVES3 Mobile Source Emissions Model: Questions and Answers (PDF) (6 pp, 214 K, November 2020, EPA-420-F-20-050) highlights the difference between MOVES3 and earlier versions of MOVES.
- Onroad and nonroad technical reports that explain MOVES inputs, including changes for MOVES3 are available.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability: Official Release of MOVES3 Motor Vehicle Emissions Model for Emissions Inventories in SIPs and Transportation Conformity (PDF) (5 pp, 260 K, published January 7, 2021)
This notice announced the use of MOVES3 for official SIP development and transportation conformity purposes in states other than California.
- Policy Guidance on the Use of MOVES3 for State Implementation Plan Development, Transportation Conformity, and Other Purposes (PDF) (21 pp, 426 K, November 2020, EPA-420-B-20-044) Guidance on how and when to use MOVES3 for SIP development, transportation conformity, general conformity, and other purposes in states other than California.
- MOVES3 Technical Guidance: Using MOVES to Prepare Emission Inventories for State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity (PDF) (76 pp, 1 MB, November 2020, EPA-420-B-20-052): Guidance on appropriate input assumptions and sources of data for the use of MOVES3 in SIP development and regional emissions analyses for transportation conformity determinations in states other than California. It also includes guidance on developing nonroad inventories with MOVES3.
- See State and Local Transportation Resources for further information on transportation conformity and SIPs.
- Download MOVES3.0.4 (exe) : After downloading the setup file, run MOVES3.0-Setup-20220804.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to complete MOVES3.0.4 installation. MOVES3.0.4 is a patch to MOVES3 that fixes a variety of small issues. For more information on what has changed, see