Latest Version of MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES)
MOVES2014b: Latest Version of Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator
EPA's MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES) is a state-of-the-science emission modeling system that estimates emissions for mobile sources at the national, county, and project level for criteria air pollutants, greenhouse gases, and air toxics.
- Compared to MOVES2014a, MOVES2014b incorporates significant improvements in calculating nonroad equipment emissions.
- It does not significantly change the onroad criteria pollutant emissions results of MOVES2014, and therefore is not considered a new model for SIP and transportation conformity purposes.
- MOVES2014b Questions and Answers (PDF)(4 pp, 90 K, EPA-420-F-18-014, August 2018) highlights the difference between MOVES2014b and earlier versions of MOVES and explains EPA policy on using MOVES2014b in State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity Analyses.
- Download MOVES2014b (EXE)(62 MB, December 2018) : After downloading the setup file, run MOVES2014b-Setup-20181203.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to complete MOVES2014b installation.
- MOVES2014b is the latest version of MOVES. The update improves nonroad engine population growth rates, nonroad Tier 4 engine emission rates, and sulfur levels of nonroad diesel fuels. Technical reports that explain these changes are available on the MOVES web site.
- The December 2018 patch to MOVES2014b repairs a problem with missing information for Oglala Lakota County, South Dakota; fixes a problem with MOVES runs on Linux operating systems; and allows MOVES to work on computers that are still using JAVA 7.
- Important information on installing and running MOVES.
MOVES2014a User Guide and Manuals also apply to MOVES2014b.
- MOVES2014a User Guide (PDF)(266 pp, 11 MB, EPA-420-B-15-095, November 2015) walks users through various MOVES examples, and provides an overview of menu items and options.
- MOVES2014a User Interface Reference Manual (PDF)(59 pp, 556 K, EPA-420-B-16-085, November 2016) provides details on using the MOVES interface, commands and menu options.
- MOVES2014 User Interface Reference Manual Appendix: MOVES2014b (PDF) (7 pp, 188 K, EPA-420-B-18-038, August 2018) explains changes to the user interface in MOVES2014b.
- MOVES2014a Software Design Reference Manual (PDF)(112 pp, 1 M, EPA-420-B-15-096, November 2015) provides background on configuring and installing MOVES and describes MOVES code structure.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability: Official Release of MOVES2014 Motor Vehicle Emissions Model for Emissions Inventories in SIPs and Transportation Conformity (PDF) (5 pp, 230 K, published October 7, 2014): This notice approved the use of MOVES2014 in official SIP submissions. MOVES2014b does not significantly change the onroad criteria pollutant emission results of MOVES2014 and is not considered a new model for SIP and transportation conformity purposes.
- Policy Guidance on the Use of MOVES2014 and Subsequent Minor Revisions for State Implementation Plan Development, Transportation Conformity, and Other Purposes (PDF) (18 pp, 230 K, EPA-420-B-14-008, July 2014): How and when to use the MOVES2014 and subsequent minor revisions, including MOVES2014a and MOVES2014b, for SIP development, transportation conformity, general conformity, and other purposes.
- MOVES2014, MOVES2014a, and MOVES2014b Technical Guidance: Using MOVES to Prepare Emission Inventories for State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity (PDF) (73 pp, 910 K, EPA-420-B-18-039, August 2018): Guidance on appropriate input assumptions and sources of data for the use of MOVES2014, MOVES2014a, and MOVES2014b in SIP submissions and regional emissions analyses for transportation conformity purposes.
- See State and Local Transportation Resources for further information on transportation conformity and SIPs.