Latest Version of MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES)
MOVES2014b: Latest Version of Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator
EPA's MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES) is a state-of-the-science emission modeling system that estimates emissions for mobile sources at the national, county, and project level for criteria air pollutants, greenhouse gases, and air toxics.
- Compared to MOVES2014a, MOVES2014b incorporates significant improvements in calculating nonroad equipment emissions.
- It does not significantly change the onroad criteria pollutant emissions results of MOVES2014, and therefore is not considered a new model for SIP and transportation conformity purposes.
- MOVES2014b Questions and Answers (PDF)(4 pp, 90 K, EPA-420-F-18-014, August 2018) highlights the difference between MOVES2014b and earlier versions of MOVES and explains EPA policy on using MOVES2014b in State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity Analyses.
- Download MOVES2014b (EXE)(62 MB, August 2018) : After downloading the setup file, run MOVES2014b-Setup-20180801.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to complete MOVES2014b installation.
- MOVES2014b is the latest version of MOVES. The update improves nonroad engine population growth rates, nonroad Tier 4 engine emission rates, and sulfur levels of nonroad diesel fuels. Technical reports that explain these changes are available on the MOVES web site .
- Please note that MOVES is not compatible with the recently released MySQL Server 8.0. If you are installing MOVES for the first time, the installer will direct you to where you can download MySQL Server 5.7, the latest version of MySQL that is compatible with MOVES.
MOVES2014a User Guide and Manuals also apply to MOVES2014b.
- MOVES2014a User Guide (PDF)(266 pp, 11 MB, EPA-420-B-15-095, November 2015) walks users through various MOVES examples, and provides an overview of menu items and options.
- MOVES2014a User Interface Reference Manual (PDF)(59 pp, 556 K, EPA-420-B-16-085, November 2016) provides details on using the MOVES interface, commands and menu options.
- MOVES2014 User Interface Reference Manual Appendix: MOVES2014b (PDF) (7 pp, 188 K, EPA-420-B-18-038, August 2018) explains changes to the user interface in MOVES2014b.
- MOVES2014a Software Design Reference Manual (PDF)(112 pp, 1 M, EPA-420-B-15-096, November 2015) provides background on configuring and installing MOVES and describes MOVES code structure.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability: Official Release of MOVES2014 Motor Vehicle Emissions Model for Emissions Inventories in SIPs and Transportation Conformity (PDF) (5 pp, 230 K, published October 7, 2014): This notice approved the use of MOVES2014 in official SIP submissions. MOVES2014b does not significantly change the onroad criteria pollutant emission results of MOVES2014 and is not considered a new model for SIP and transportation conformity purposes.
- Policy Guidance on the Use of MOVES2014 and Subsequent Minor Revisions for State Implementation Plan Development, Transportation Conformity, and Other Purposes (PDF) (18 pp, 230 K, EPA-420-B-14-008, July 2014): How and when to use the MOVES2014 and subsequent minor revisions, including MOVES2014a and MOVES2014b, for SIP development, transportation conformity, general conformity, and other purposes.
- MOVES2014, MOVES2014a, and MOVES2014b Technical Guidance: Using MOVES to Prepare Emission Inventories for State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity (PDF) (73 pp, 910 K, EPA-420-B-18-039, August 2018): Guidance on appropriate input assumptions and sources of data for the use of MOVES2014, MOVES2014a, and MOVES2014b in SIP submissions and regional emissions analyses for transportation conformity purposes.
- See State and Local Transportation Resources for further information on transportation conformity and SIPs.