Outreach and Events
Facilitating information exchange on cost-effective methane emissions reduction technologies and practices is a core mission of the Natural Gas STAR and Methane Challenge Programs. The Programs host a series of Technology Transfer Workshops and Implementation Workshops to further this goal.
Data-driven Decision Making Technology Transfer Workshop
San Francisco, CA - December 14, 2018
This workshop will focus on the use of data and analytics in the oil & natural gas industry to drive operational changes to mitigate methane emissions. Talks will cover the analytics process, focusing on the following topics:
- Data Generation: How do companies determine exactly what questions they want to answer and what data they need? How do they then choose the best hardware/technology for a task—something that will be cost-effective and generate the data they need, in a format they can work with?
- Data Management, Analysis, and Interpretation: After selecting a technology and generating data, how does a company select the right software/analytical approach, and ensure they have the right people on staff, to manage, analyze, and interpret the data?
- Data-driven Decisions: Finally, after data generation/collection and analysis are complete, how does a company put the results to use, get staff buy-in, and modify/improve operational processes to mitigate methane emissions?
The workshop will be free to attend and open to the public. Register today!
2nd Annual AGA-EPA Natural Gas STAR/Methane Challenge Renewable Natural Gas Workshop & Exhibit
Fort Worth, TX - October 23, 2018
This workshop took place at the Omni Forth Worth Hotel in Fort Worth, Texas, in conjunction with the AGA 2018 Operations Section Fall Committee Meetings. The workshop was hosted by EPA’s Natural Gas STAR and Methane Challenge Programs, in collaboration with the American Gas Association (AGA).
Presentations are available on the event page.
Renewable Natural Gas Webinar - Landfill Gas to Pipeline Project
June 14, 2018, 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM EDT
The Natural Gas STAR Program and Landfill Methane Outreach Program (LMOP) hosted a webinar about a successful landfill gas (LFG) to energy project that upgrades the LFG into pipeline quality renewable natural gas (RNG) for vehicle fuel.
Transmission and Storage Technology Transfer Workshop
Glen Allen, VA - June 7, 2018
EPA's Natural Gas STAR and Methane Challenge Programs convened a technology transfer workshop to discuss emission sources and mitigation options in the Transmission and Storage segment. The event was hosted by Dominion Energy, Inc. in Glen Allen, VA. Topics discussed at the workshop included:
- Methane emissions from the natural gas supply chain
- Leak detection research along the transmission segment
- Temporary compression, isolation valve design, venting gas recovery systems, and replacing compressor rod packing
- Implementation of a methane reduction & reporting program for a ONE Future company
- Technologies and services offered by vendors