Reports and Technical Resources
The technical articles and resources listed below are just a sampling of information about options for reducing methane emissions and other industry-related reports and resources. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
This page provides links to non-EPA web sites. You will leave the EPA.gov domain and enter another page with more information. EPA cannot attest to the accuracy of information on that non-EPA page. Providing links to a non-EPA Web site is not an endorsement of the other site or the information it contains by EPA or any of its employees. Also, be aware that the privacy protection provided on the EPA.gov domain (see Privacy and Security Notice) may not be available at the external link.
- Economic Analyses Reports
- Methane Emissions Reports and Data
- Technical Reports
- Other Resources
- Additional Information
- Global Non-CO2 Greenhouse Gas Emission Projections & Mitigation: 2015-2050, EPA (September 2019)
- U.S. Greenhouse Gas Inventory Report: 1990-2017, EPA (April 2019)
- Methane Emissions from the Natural Gas Industry, co-sponsored by the Gas Research Institute and EPA (June 1996)
- Cost-Effective Directed Inspection and Maintenance Control Opportunities at Five Gas Processing Plants and Upstream Gathering Compressor Stations and Well Sites, Clearstone Engineering (March 2006)
- Designing the Ideal Offshore Platform Methane Mitigation Strategy, co-written by EPA, ICF International, COPPE/UFRJ, and Devon Energy (April 2010)
- Methane’s Role in Promoting Sustainable Development in the Oil and Natural Gas Industry, co-written by EPA, ICF International, PEMEX, EnCana Oil & Gas, Hy-Bon Engineering, Pluspetrol, Gazprom, and VNIIGAZ (October 2009)
- New Measurement Data has Implications for Quantifying Natural Gas Losses from Cast Iron Distribution Mains, co-written by EPA, Comgas, and ICF International (September 2009)
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program (GHGRP) - EPA's GHGRP tracks facility-level emissions from the largest sources of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States.
- Greenhouse Gas Equivalency Calculator - This calculator allows users to translate common units of measure, such as pounds of methane or metric tons of carbon dioxide, to everyday terms including greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from passenger cars or carbon sequestered by pine forests.
- Oil and Natural Gas Air Pollution Standards - This page provides information about emissions from the oil and natural gas industry; links to proposed and final rules, fact sheets, and other rulemaking documents; and technical information about the air toxics standards under review.
- e-MATRIXExit - This information exchange project of the Environmental Council of the States (ECOS) Shale Gas Caucus, provides easy access to State information on best practices and cost-effective technologies that reduce air emissions at points along oil and gas systems.
The following websites provide additional information on oil and gas methane emissions:
- Department of Energy/ARPA-E MONITOR
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- ONE Future
- Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)