Selected EPA-registered Disinfectants
The following lists of antimicrobial products registered by the EPA are effective against common pathogens, as indicated in the list titles. EPA-registered antimicrobial products may not make efficacy claims against these pathogens unless the agency has reviewed data to support the claim and approved the claim on the label. Use of the listed EPA-registered products consistent with the product labeling complies with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration‘s requirements for Occupational Exposure to blood borne Pathogens (29 CFR 1910) as well as proper management of any waste when disposed, which is regulated under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
Information about listed products is current as indicated by the dates on the lists. If you would like to review the product label information for any of these products, please visit our product label system. Inclusion on these lists does not constitute an endorsement by EPA.
The EPA updates these registered disinfectant lists periodically to reflect label changes, cancellations and transfers of product registrations. Information in the lists does not constitute a label replacement. Inclusion of products in these lists does not constitute an endorsement of one product over another. Before applying any EPA-registered disinfectant product, users must read the label to determine if the product is approved for the intended use site or pest.
- List A: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products as Sterilizers
- List B: EPA Registered Tuberculocide Products Effective Against Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- List C: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Human HIV-1 Virus
- List D: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Human HIV-1 and Hepatitis B Virus
- List E: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Mycobacterium tuberculosisHuman HIV-1 and Hepatitis B Virus
- List F: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Hepatitis C Virus
- List G: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Norovirus
- List H: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Methicillin ResistantStaphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus faecalis or faecium (VRE)
- List J: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products for Medical Waste Treatment
- List K: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Clostridium difficile Spores(PDF)
- List L: EPA's Registered Antimicrobial Products that Meet the CDC Criteria for Use Against the Ebola Virus
- List M: Registered Antimicrobial Products with Label Claims for Avian (Bird) Flu Disinfectants
The Listed Products
All EPA-registered pesticides must have an EPA registration number. The EPA Reg. No. of a product can be more useful than its brand name for identifying the EPA-registered product. Alternative brand names have the same EPA Reg. No. as the primary product. The EPA Reg. No. of a product for primary registrants consists of two set of numbers separated by a hyphen, for example EPA Reg. No. 12345-12. The first set of numbers refers to the registrant’s company identification number, and the second set of numbers represents the product number.
In addition to primary products, distributors may also sell products with identical formulations and identical efficacy as the primary products. Distributor products frequently use different brand names, but you can identify them by their three-part EPA Reg. No. The first two parts of the EPA Reg. No. matches the primary registrant, plus a third set of numbers that represents the Distributor/Relabeler ID number. For example EPA Reg. No. 12345-12-2567 is a distributor product with an identical formulation and efficacy to the primary product with the EPA Reg. No. 12345-12.
If you hold the primary registration for a product which you believe should be added to a list please email email@example.com. In the subject line of your email include: “Include Product(s) on List [Insert list Identifier]; [Registration #(s)].” In the body, identify the Company Name, Registration Number(s), and primary brand name(s) of the product(s). Your Request will be reviewed and the list will be corrected.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.