Facility Level Comparisons
- Quarterly Data: 2019 vs. 2020 (Quarters 1, 2, 3, & 4)
- Annual Data: 2019 vs. 2020
- Ozone Season Data: 2019 vs. 2020
- Facility Level Emission Changes: 2009 vs. 2020
- Coal-fired Characteristics and Controls: 2020
- Changes in Control Technologies at Coal-Fired Units: 2000-2020
EPA regularly posts updates of quarterly sulfur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen oxides (NOx), carbon dioxide (CO2), and mercury (Hg) emissions data from power plants subject to the Acid Rain Program (ARP), the Cross-State Air Pollution Rule (CSAPR), the CSAPR Update, and the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) to make it easy for the public to track changes in emissions from these sources. All of the data presented here are also available in Air Markets Program Data (AMPD). More summary level data is available in our Progress Reports and also in our Power Plant Emission Trends.
The data presented here compare emissions, emission rates, and heat input from power plant units in the ARP, CSAPR, CSAPR Update, and MATS. These files compare quarterly emission data from 2019 with data for the same quarters from 2020.
The four quarters of 2020 shows several changes compared to the four quarters of 2019:
- 16 percent decline for NOX
- 10 percent decline for the 2020 ozone season NOX (May 1 - Sept. 30) in the CSAPR Update states
- 19 percent decline for SO2
- 11 percent decline for CO2
- 17 percent decline for Hg
The declines in emissions are due primarily to changes in the mix of fossil fuel-fired electricity generation. The four quarters of 2020 showed a total fossil generation decrease of 6 percent compared to the four quarters of 2019. However, there was a 19 percent decrease in coal generation and a 3 percent increase in natural gas generation, which resulted in significant emissions decreases overall.
- Table of Quarterly Emissions, Emission Rates, Heat Input: 2019 vs. 2020 (Quarters 1, 2, 3 & 4)(4 MB)
The data presented here compare emissions, emission rates, and heat input from power plant units in the ARP, CSAPR, CSAPR Update, and MATS. These files compare annual emission data from 2019 with 2020.
The data presented here compare emissions, emission rates, and heat input from power plant units in the ARP, CSAPR, and CSAPR Update. These files compare ozone season (May 1 – Sept 30) emission data from 2019 and 2020.
The data presented here compare emissions and emission rates from power plants in the ARP, CSAPR, and CSAPR Update. These files compare longer-term annual data at the facility level.
The data presented here provide detailed information about coal-fired power plants, including emissions of SO2, NOX, and CO2; heat input; capacity; on-line year; and emission controls.
The following figures display where particular control technologies have been installed between 2000 and 2020 based on the information obtained from major company contacts and industry sources.