Basic Information about Biosolids
- The term sewage sludge is used in EPA regulations that establish a protective regulatory framework to manage the use and disposal of sewage sludge.
- The terms biosolids and sewage sludge are often used interchangeably.
- When properly treated and processed, sewage sludge becomes biosolids which are nutrient-rich organic materials produced from wastewater treatment facilities.
- Biosolids can be recycled and applied as fertilizer to improve and maintain productive soils and stimulate plant growth.
- Effective sewage sludge and biosolids management options help ensure that useful materials are recycled on land and harmful materials are not released to water bodies.