Heavy-Duty Diesel Fuel Analysis
The EPA's heavy-duty diesel fuel analysis program sought to quantify the air pollution emission effects of diesel fuel parameters on various nonroad and highway heavy-duty diesel engines.
The program examined the
- hydrocarbon (HC)
- oxides of nitrogen (NOx)
- and particulate matter (PM)
emission impacts of diesel fuel parameters; including such parameters as
- cetane number
- aromatics content
- and fuel density.
The program was a short-term effort to perform a thorough analysis of existing data.
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- Final Technical Report: The Effect of Cetane Number Increase Due to Additives on NOx Emissions from Heavy-Duty Highway Engines (PDF) (109K, EPAA420-R-03-002, February 2003)
- Independent Peer Review of EPA Technical Report EPA420-S-02-012: The Effect of Cetane Number Increase Due To Additives on NOx Emissions from Heavy-Duty Highway Engines (132K, EPA420-S-03-001, February 2003)
- Draft Technical Report:
- The Effect of Cetane Number Increase Due to Additives on NOx Emissions from Heavy-Duty Highway Engines (PDF) (103K, EPA420-S-02-012 June 2002)
- Comments of the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association (NPRA) on EPA's Draft Analysis of Cetane and NOx Emissions from Heavy-Duty Highway Engines(17 July, 2002)
- Texas Low Emission Diesel Fuel Benefits
- Investigation of the relative impacts of mono and polyaromatics on emissions and potential methods for their inclusion in a diesel emissions model (August 23, 2001)
- Staff Discussion Document, Strategies and Issues in Correlating Diesel Fuel Properties with Emissions (PDF) (114 pp, 484 K, EPA420-P-01-001, July 2001)
- Revised Heavy-duty Diesel Emissions Database, which was used in the development of a model correlating diesel fuel properties with emissions of regulated pollutants, June 12, 2001.
- Cleaner Trucks, Buses, & Diesel Fuel
- Special Modeling in Support of the Heavy-Duty Engine/Vehicle and Highway Diesel Fuel Final Rule
- Vehicle & Engine Emission Modeling Software
- Diesel Fuel
- Biodiesel Emissions Analysis Program