National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
What is NPDES?
The NPDES permit program addresses water pollution by regulating point sources that discharge pollutants to waters of the United States.
Created in 1972 by the Clean Water Act, the NPDES permit program is authorized to state governments by EPA to perform many permitting, administrative, and enforcement aspects of the program.
NPDES Around the Nation
Join NPDES News to receive updates on webinars, training, and publications.
New and Notable
- Low Flow Statistics Tools Handbook
- FAQs for Control Authorities on Dental Rule
- Final Rule Published in Federal Register: Public Notification Requirements for CSOs to the Great Lakes Basin
- Online Training: Permit Writing Tips and Best Practices
- Compendium of State Approaches for Manure Management
- MS4 General Permit Remand Rule