Resources for Permit Writers
Permit Writers' Manual
The NPDES permit writers' manual (EPA-833-K-10-001) provides a comprehensive overview of the framework of the NPDES program. It also serves as one of the principal training tools to help permit writers develop legally defensible and enforceable NPDES permits.
Its primary purpose as a technical resource is to guide new state and EPA permit writers through the basic steps of permit development and issuance. The manual is also intended to serve as a resource for others, such as stakeholders and the regulated community, interested in the NPDES permitting process.
Publications for Permit Writers
- Low Flow Statistics Tools – A How-To Handbook for NPDES Permit Writers (2018) – Describes how to estimate low flow statistic values in a variety of situations using free publicly available tools.
- NPDES Permit Writers’ Manual for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (2012) – Provides information on CAFO permitting requirements, as well as technical information on options for nutrient management planning.
- MS4 Permit Improvement Guide (2010) – Guide to assist permit writers in strengthening MS4 stormwater permits.
- TMDLs to Stormwater Permits Handbook (2008) – The draft handbook provides a reference for TMDL practitioners and permit writers on current methods being used to develop more detailed stormwater-source TMDL allocations and methods for translating TMDL allocations into NPDES stormwater permit requirements.
- Watershed-based National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permitting Technical Guidance (2007) - Focused on helping NPDES authorities develop and issue NPDES permits that fit into an overall watershed planning and management approach with input from watershed stakeholders.
- Combined Sewer Overflows – Guidance for Permit Writers (1995) – Describes how to develop and issues NPDES permits with CSO conditions that reflect the CSO control policy.