An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)

Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activities

Image of Remember to throw your gloves in the trash

Why do stormwater discharges from construction activities matter?

When it rains, stormwater washes over the loose soil on a construction site, along with various materials and products being stored outside. As stormwater flows over the site, it can pick up pollutants like sediment, debris, and chemicals from that loose soil and transport them to nearby storm sewer systems or directly into rivers, lakes, or coastal waters. EPA works with construction site operators to make sure they have the proper stormwater controls in place so that construction can proceed in a way that protects your community’s clean water and the surrounding environment.

Who needs to get permit coverage?

In general, the NPDES stormwater program requires permits for discharges from construction activities that disturb one or more acres, and discharges from smaller sites that are part of a larger common plan of development or sale. Depending on the location of the construction site, either the state or EPA will administer the permit. See the webpage for Authorization Status for EPA's Construction and Industrial Stormwater Programs to find out whether EPA or your state is the permitting authority for construction activities. You can also use the "Do I Need a Permit?" flow chart to help determine if and from whom you need to get NPDES permit coverage for your construction activities.

Important News: Final Modification of the 2017 CGP

Getting Permit Coverage

  • Who is responsible for getting permit coverage?
  • Who do I get my permit from?
  • What are the steps to obtain permit coverage?
  • When do I have to submit my NOI?

2017 Construction General Permit (CGP)

  • Permit documents and forms
  • Final modification of the 2017 CGP
  • Basic Requirements summary
  • Your requirements for Endangered Species
  • Your requirements for historic properties
  • Small Construction Activity Waivers & LEW calculator
  • FAQs
  • Non-compliance reporting
  • Older CGP versions

Submitting a Notice of Intent, Notice of Termination, or Low Erosivity Waiver

  • How to submit an NOI, NOT, or LEW via CGP-NeT
  • How to modify and terminate permit coverage
  • CGP-NeT user guides and trainings
  • eNOI helpdesk contacts
  • eNOI search
  • How to submit paper forms

Resources, Tools, and Templates

  • Professional resources
  • Discharge mapping tool
  • SWPPP templates
  • Inspection and corrective action report templates