Construction General Permit Resources, Tools, and Templates
- Tools and Maps
- SWPPP Templates
- Determine 2-Year, 24-Hour Storm Event for Sediment Basin Design
- Inspection and Corrective Action Report Templates
- Monitoring and Inspection Guide for Construction Dewatering
- Professional Resources
These resources help you determine whether you discharge to an impaired water and if your construction activities will occur during a seasonally dry period in an arid or semi-arid climate.
- Discharge Mapping Tool
Helps identify whether any receiving waters to which you discharge are listed as impaired (and the pollutant for which it is impaired) and whether an approved total maximum daily load (TMDL) exists for that waterbody.
- Seasonally Dry Period for Arid and Semi-Arid Areas
- Seasonally Dry Period Locator Tool (xlsx) - This tool helps you determine if your site is in an arid or semi-arid climate and the seasonally dry months for your site location. To use the tool, download the excel file and enter your site’s zip code. The tool will return text indicating if your site is located in an arid or semi-arid climate and, if applicable, the seasonally dry months for your site.
- Seasonally Dry Period Locator Tool-Supporting Figures (pdf) - These maps show areas of the U.S. that have an arid or semi-arid climate and the months that those areas are considered seasonally dry.
How to develop a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)
These resources help operators develop effective SWPPPs that are required under construction stormwater permits. Note that construction site SWPPPs must follow the requirements of the applicable State or EPA CGP and must describe the specific conditions of the site and plans for development.
- Construction Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) Template (docx) - Helps construction site operators develop a SWPPP that is compliant with the minimum requirements of EPA’s 2022 CGP.
- Plantilla del Plan de Prevención de la Contaminación de Aguas Pluviales en la Construcción (PPCAP) (docx) - Ayuda a los operadores de proyectos de construcción a desarrollar un PPCAP que cumpla con los requisitos mínimos del Permiso General de Construcción 2017 de la EPA.
- Small Residential Lot SWPPP Template (docx) - Helps small residential lot builders develop a streamlined SWPPP that is compliant with the minimum requirements of EPA's 2012 CGP. Note: The Small Residential Lot SWPPP template is currently being updated for the 2022 CGP. EPA will post the updated version when it is finalized. Operators may still use the 2012 template, but must comply with the requirements in the 2022 CGP and thus should read the permit carefully to make sure all required information is documented in the SWPPP.
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention for Small Residential Construction Sites (pdf) - An educational brochure that provides basic erosion and sediment control and stormwater pollution prevention guidance common to all small residential lot projects.
Part 2.2.12 of EPA’s 2022 CGP indicates that if you install a sediment basin, one of the two alternative design requirements is to provide storage for the calculated volume of runoff from a 2-year, 24-hour storm.
- 2022 CGP - 2-Year, 24-Hour Storm Frequencies (pdf) - EPA compiled this information to help determine the volume of precipitation associated with the local 2-year, 24-hour storm event.
EPA developed the following templates to help you document your findings for site inspections, dewatering inspections, and corrective actions as required by the 2022 CGP. These templates are formatted to be filled out electronically or manually and include text fields that direct you to populate the forms with your site-specific information.
- Site Inspection Report Template (docx) - This inspection report template is designed to assist you in preparing inspection reports that meet the requirements in Part 4.7 of the 2022 CGP.
- Dewatering Inspection Report Template (docx) - This dewatering inspection report template is designed to assist you in preparing inspection reports related to dewatering activities required by Part 4.6.3 of the 2022 CGP.
- Corrective Action Log Template (docx) - This corrective action log form is designed to assist you in recording the required corrective action documentation that meet the requirements in Part 5.4 of the 2022 CGP.
- Monitoring and Inspection Guide for Construction Dewatering (pdf) - This guide provides information on how to correctly monitor for turbidity (if applicable), determine if your weekly average turbidity values exceed the benchmark, and, if so, how to proceed with corrective action. The guide also reviews correct procedures for conducting dewatering inspections.
EPA’s CGP has special requirements for discharges to waters that receive Tier 2, Tier 2.5, or Tier 3 protections for antidegradation purposes.
- 2022 CGP - Tier 3, Tier 2, and Tier 2.5 Waters (pdf) - This list is provided as a resource for operators covered by the CGP to determine whether they discharge to a Tier 2, Tier 2.5, or Tier 3 water.
- Small Construction Program Overview (Fact Sheet 3.0) and Construction Rainfall Erosivity Waiver (Fact Sheet 3.1) - Provide overview information about the construction program and the construction rainfall erosivity waiver.
- Managing Your Environmental Responsibilities: A Planning Guide for Construction and Development – Provides guidance for complying with a variety of environmental regulations at every stage of your construction project.
- Construction Industry Compliance Assistance (CICA) Center – Explains in plain language environmental rules for the construction industry and provides links to stormwater permits and technical manuals for all 50 states.
- International Erosion Control Association – Offers information on certifications for stormwater and erosion and sediment control professionals.
- Third-party Certifications - Provides information about certification programs to become a recognized specialist in soil erosion and sediment control.
- Puerto Rico Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook for Developing Areas – Provides a technical reference for developers, planners, engineers, government officials, and others involved in land use planning, building site development, and natural resource conservation in rural and urban communities and developing areas.
- Puerto Rico Construction BMP Fact Sheets / Hoja Informativa sobre Mejores Prácticas de Gestión (MPG) de Construcción en Puerto Rico – Provide information in Spanish on construction BMPs focused on protecting threatened and endangered species and critical habitat in Puerto Rico / Provee información en español sobre mejores prácticas de gestión de construcción con enfoque en la protección de especies amenazadas y en peligro de extinción y hábitats críticos en Puerto Rico.