Water Quality Trading Toolkit for Permit Writers
The Water Quality Trading Toolkit for Permit Writers provides NPDES permitting authorities with the tools to incorporate trading provisions into permits. The Toolkit is a “how-to” manual for designing and implementing water quality trading programs consistent with EPA’s 2003 National Water Quality Trading Policy. The Toolkit aids in improving the quality and consistency of trading programs across the nation.
Beginning with the fundamentals, the Toolkit also covers several trading scenarios, includes sample permit language, and presents fact sheets of trading programs across the country (see Appendix A link below).
- Fact Sheet on Water Quality Trading Toolkit for Permit Writers (pdf)
Appendix A: Water Quality Trading Program Fact Sheets (pdf)
This appendix includes 12 detailed case studies of existing trading programs. It focuses on data and methodologies to develop the program and includes permit language detailing trading provisions.
- Fundamentals of Water Quality Trading (pdf)
- Water Quality Trading Scenarios
- Keys to Success Poster (pdf)
- Glossary (pdf)
- References (pdf)
- Appendix A: Water Quality Trading Program Fact Sheets (pdf)
- Appendix B: EPA’s 2003 National Water Quality Trading Policy (pdf)
- Appendix C: Water Quality Trading Forms (pdf)
- Appendix D: Use of EPA Cost Share (pdf)
- Appendix E: Permit Writers’ Checklists (pdf)
- Appendix F: Trading with Subsurface Septic Systems (pdf)
- Appendix G: Sediment and Nutrient Trades with Forestry and Drinking Water Treatment Facility (pdf)