We publish recommended water quality criteria to reduce problems associated with excess nutrients in waterbodies in specific areas of the country. We work with states and tribes to adopt regional-specific and locally appropriate water quality criteria for nutrients in lakes, reservoirs, rivers, streams, and wetlands in fourteen ecoregions.
- Criteria Documents for Lakes & Reservoirs
- Criteria Documents for Rivers & Streams
- Ecoregional Criteria Document for Wetlands
- Summary Table for the Nutrient Criteria Documents (July 2002)
These tables present the recommended criteria for each of the aggregate nutrient ecoregions for the following parameters: Total Phosphorus, Total Nitrogen, Chlorophyll a, and Turbidity or Secchi. Criteria are presented for both Lakes & Reservoirs and Rivers & Streams.
We finalized nine water quality criteria documents for lakes and reservoirs, and rivers and streams. See below for documents and peer review comments.
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 27 K, About PDF) (October 2002)
- Federal Register Notice (January 6, 2003)
- EPA Response to Peer Review Comments for Lakes and Reservoirs
- EPA Response to Peer Review Comments for Rivers and Streams
- Public Comments
We solicited submissions of significant scientific information on nine nutrient water quality criteria documents for lakes and reservoirs, and rivers and streams.
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 79 K, About PDF) (December 2001)
- Federal Register Notice (February 28, 2002)
We published 17 ecoregional nutrient criteria documents for lakes and reservoirs, rivers and streams, and wetlands. See below for documents.
- Fact Sheet (December 2000)
- Federal Register Notice (January 9, 2001)
- External Expert Peer Review Comments (June 2001)
- Public Comments (June 2001)