Air and Climate Resources for Tribes in Region 10
If your air quality project will involve collecting or using environmental data, learn about developing a Quality Assurance Project Plan (QAPP).
This page highlights some EPA resources available for improving and maintaining healthy air quality in tribal communities in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. For additional information, visit EPA's Tribal Air and Climate Resources website.
- Clean Air Act Tribal Grants: Funding available under Sections 103 and 105 of the Clean Air Act.
- Clean Diesel Tribal Grants: Funding for tribal projects that achieve significant reductions in diesel emissions and diesel emissions exposure.
- Multipurpose Grants to States and Tribes: Funding for tribes that have been delegated federal regulatory authority through the treatment in a similar manner to a state (TAS).
- Indian Environmental General Assistance Program (GAP): Funding for federally recognized tribes and inter-tribal consortia seeking to address environmental issues.
- Sample GAP work plan components for air quality and climate change available at Region 10 GAP Administrative Resources.
- State Indoor Radon Grants (SIRG): Funding available to help tribes and states finance their radon risk reduction programs. Recipients must provide a minimum of 40% in matching funds.
- Pollution Prevention Grants: Grant programs available for both Pollution Prevention and Source Reduction Assistance (SRA).
- Tribal Healthy Homes Network Funding Opportunities: THHN is receives funding from EPA to help promote healthy tribal homes, families and communities.
To learn about other EPA grants, visit Air Grants and Funding.
- Portable Air Monitoring Device Loan Program: EPA has portable air monitors available for use by tribal air quality staff.
- Federal Air Rules for Reservations (FARR): Federal air rules that apply to 39 Indian reservations in Idaho, Oregon and Washington.
- EPA Burn Bans on Reservations: Idaho, Oregon, and Washington only.
- Air Permits Issued by Region 10
- Interactive Map of Northwest Tribal Air Programs: Includes air monitoring information, access to data, and permitted facilities by reservation.
- AirNow Air Quality Flag Program: Alerts organizations to the local air quality forecast and helps them to take actions to protect people’s health, including those with asthma.
- Video: Working Together to Address Asthma in Tribal Communities in the Northwest (YouTube)
- Alaska Tribal Air Toolkit: Information on rural diesel emissions, indoor air quality, road dust, solid waste burning, and wood smoke.
- Rural Alaska Dust Toolkit: Developed collaboratively with the Alaska Dept. of Environmental Conservation.
EPA Region 10 staff with expertise on various air-related issues on tribal lands.
|Staff||Focus Area/Expertise||Grants Assigned
(CAA 103/105, DITCA, DERA, SIRG)
|Tribal Air Team Lead.|
|Tribal air and climate; tribal air grants; diesel grants; FARR and burn bans.||Nez Perce; Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) grants.|
|FARR registration; emission inventories; burn bans; air monitor loan program.|
|Tribal air grants; tribal radon grants.||Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium (ANTHC); Coeur d’Alene; Kootenai, Makah; Spokane; Warm Springs; State Indoor Radon Grants (SIRG)|
|Alaska tribal air; tribal indoor air, regional smoke coordinator|
|Air Planning and State/Tribal Coordination Branch Manager.|
|Tribal Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) Lead; VW Settlement; tribal diesel grants.||Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) grants.|
|Air monitoring; Quality Assurance Project Plans.|
|Tribal air grants; air monitor loan program.||Burns Paiute; Chehalis; Colville; Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua, and Siuslaw (CLUSI); Kalispel; Puyallup; Quinault; Shoshone-Bannock; Swinomish; Tulalip; Umatilla; Yakama.|
|Atmospheric scientist; air modeling.|
|Air Permits Lead.|
|CAA Enforcement Officer.|
|Atmospheric scientist; air modeling.|
|Radiation Safety Officer; radon; State Indoor Radon Grants (SIRG).|
|Children's health; schools; indoor air.|
|Air Planning Team Lead; State Implementation Plans (SIPs).|
|Air monitoring; Air Quality System (AQS).|