Power Sector Modeling Platform v.5.13
November 27, 2013 — EPA is making available the latest power sector modeling platform, associated data assumptions, and file documentation. For questions or other inquiries regarding v.5.13, please contact us using our online form.
Documentation for v.5.13
To learn more about v.5.13 assumptions, updates, changes, and enhancements, see the links below. These files are available as one document; however, this file does not include the additional attachments and tables. Those will still need to be downloaded separately.
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Modeling Framework
- Chapter 3: Power System Operation Assumptions
- Chapter 4: Generating Resources
- Chapter 5: Emission Control Technologies
- Chapter 6: Carbon Capture, Transport, and Storage
- Chapter 7: Set-Up Parameters and Rules
- Chapter 8: Financial Assumptions
- Chapter 9: Coal
- Chapter 10: Natural Gas
- Chapter 11: Other Fuels and Fuel Emission Factors
- Appendix: Heat Rate Improvement Option
Documentation of the Retail Price Model
The Retail Price Model (RPM) provides a first-order estimate of average retail electricity prices using information from the EPA Base Case v5.13 Base Case or other scenarios analyzed for the period 2016 to 2050 for each of the 64 IPM model regions.
National Electric Energy Data System (NEEDS) v.5.13
The National Electric Energy Data System or “NEEDS” database contains the generation unit records used to construct the "model" plants that represent existing and planned/committed units in EPA modeling applications of IPM. NEEDS includes basic geographic, operating, air emissions, and other data on these generating units. NEEDS was completely updated for EPA’s new power sector modeling platform v.5.13. For a description of the sources used in preparing NEEDS v.5.13, see Documentation, Chapter 4: Generating Resources.
The Updates file documenting EPA and stakeholder interaction on NEEDS v.5.13 is also included below.
Results Using EPA’s Base Case v.5.13
- Detailed IPM output files (zip) (i.e. Overview, System Summary Report, .DAT, .RPE, .RPT files, Gas Report, State Level Emissions Summary, Parsed File, Flat File).