Status of EnviroAtlas
EnviroAtlas has been publicly available since May 2014 (News Release, May 7, 2014). Development plans for EnviroAtlas extend out to 2019, with regular updates taking place as they become available. View the EnviroAtlas Dynamic Data Matrix to search and sort through a list of currently available EnviroAtlas data.
Latest Updates to EnviroAtlas
- Save Session functionality added to the interactive mapping application. Users can save a map session that they are working on and come back to it later, or download that session and send it to someone else who can load it into the map.
- Educational Lesson Plan: Exploring Your Watershed is a three-part lesson module that gets students outdoors, mapping, and simulating a watershed. In this K-6 lesson, students will learn to:
- Describe a watershed and how it works
- Describe characteristics of ecosystems
- Explain how humans can change their behavior to protect their local watershed
- EnviroAtlas Use Case on Health Impact Assessment: Explore the use of EnviroAtlas in an HIA evaluating a proposed policy to promote physical fitness in public parks in the Town 'n' Country area of Tampa, Florida.
- Quality of Life maps available for the contiguous U.S.
- Percentage of households with incomes above twice the poverty line and below $75,000
- Percentage of households with incomes above $75,000 and below $200,000
- Percentage of households with incomes above $200,000.
- Percentage of households below the quality of life threshold income
- Threshold income for quality of life
- Change in business vacancy rate from 2010-2014, in percentage points
- Residential address vacancy rate for 2014
- Change in residential vacancy rate from 2010-2014, in percentage points
- Other National maps for the contiguous U.S.
- Mean rental rate per acre for farm land, 2008-2016 Irrigated
- Mean rental rate per acre for farm land, 2008-2016 Non-irrigated
- Mean rental rate per acre for farm land, 2008-2016 Pasture
- Average width of stream buffers downstream from agriculture.
- Cropland on slopes
- Pasture on slopes
- Percent of agriculture that is buffered
- Net agricutural phosphorus balance (kg P/ha/yr)
- Crop phosphorus removal (kg P/ha/yr)
- Percent non-buffered agriculture
- Dissolved nitrogen in non-tile drain subsurface flow from agricultural fields (tons)
- Dissolved nutrients in surface runoff from agricultural fields (tons): Nitrogen & Phosphorus
- Dissolved nutrients in tile drain subsurface flow from agricultural fields (tons): Nitrogen & Phosphorus
- Nutrients attached to eroding surface soil from agricultural fields (tons): Nitrogen & Phosphorus
- Dissolved nutrients in leachate from agricultural fields (tons): Nitrogen & Phosphorus
- Phosphorus fertilizer application (kg P/ha/yr)
- Phosphorus application as manure (kg P/ha/yr)
- Subsurface water flow through agricultural tile drainage systems (mm)
- Non-tile drainage system subsurface water flow from agricultural lands (mm)
- Percolation from agricultural lands (mm)
- Surface runoff from agricultural land (mm)
- Surface sediment erosion from agricultural lands (tons)
- Candidate Ecological Restoration Areas (polygons)
- Candidate Ecological Restoration Areas Per square Kilometer
A selection of planned improvements, with the projected completion dates in parentheses, is below.
- New communities, including New Haven, CT; Baltimore, MD; Birmingham, AL; Brownsville, TX; and Virginia Beach, VA (2018). Additional communities will be added yearly, with the goal of over 36 communities by 2019.
- Featured collections of data in the interactive map and use cases that provide descriptive examples of how to use EnviroAtlas data (Ongoing).
As the project progresses, this webpage will be updated with the latest news on EnviroAtlas.