EPA Nutrient Reduction Strategy Webinars - Region 5
The Mississippi River/Gulf of Mexico Hypoxia Task Force Action Plan calls for the reduction of excessive nutrients to the Gulf of Mexico. As part of this overall effort, states are developing Nutrient Reduction Strategies. The individual state strategies need to outline how states will reduce nutrient impairments within their jurisdiction, improve the quality of life for citizens, and contribute to reducing the size of the hypoxia zone in the Gulf of Mexico. Each state’s Nutrient Reduction Strategy needs to answer four basic questions:
- What nutrient load reductions are achievable?
- How will these reductions be achieved?
- What are the implementation schedule and corresponding milestones for this effort?
- What is the value to each stakeholder of these reduction efforts?
The state strategies are to cover all major sources within the states.
Agriculture has been identified as the largest source of nutrients impacting the Gulf. The diversity of agriculture throughout the Upper Mississippi and Ohio River basins and the range of agricultural intensity between states requires that each state develop a state-specific plan to address agriculture.
These webcasts are an extension of a June 2011 workshop intended to help states in the basins develop the agricultural component for their State Nutrient Reduction Strategies. Please visit the following link to view access the State Nutrient Reduction Strategies Web Series. Search EPA Archive
Webinars available by contacting Cynthia Curtis (email@example.com) at 202-566-0340.
- Wisconsin Nitrate Demonstration Project, November 13, 2013
Wisconsin Nitrate Demonstration Project Transcript
- Wetlands Supplement: Incorporating Wetlands into Watershed Planning, August 21, 2013
Wetlands Nutrients Webinar Transcript
- Analyzing NRCS Ag-BMP Effects on Water Quality-A Process for Matching Practices to the Problems, July 24, 2013
NRCS Nutrients Webinar Transcript
- Using Interactive GIS to Plan Nutrient Reductions and Track Implementation and Interactive GLRI Watershed Remediation Tracking System, June 5, 2013
Interactive Nutrients Webinar Transcript
- Nutrient Trading in the MRB: Possibilities for Improving Gulf Water Quality & Ideas for State Nutrient Reduction Strategies, May 29, 2013
Nutrient Trading Nutrients Webinar Transcript
- What Drives Successful Nutrient Reduction Efforts? And How Can Land Grant Universities Support Them?, May 1, 2013
Successful Nutrients Webinar Transcript
- Indian Creek Watershed Project, April 24, 2013
Indian Creek Nutrients Webinar Transcript
- Interactive Routine for Bioreactor Design and Evaluation, March 6, 2013
Bioreactor Nutrients Webinar Transcript
- The Nose Knows: Canine Scent Tracking, February 7, 2013
Sniffdog Nutrients Webinar Transcript