Asbestos at Superfund Sites: Technical Assistance
The Technical Review Workgroup for Metals and Asbestos' (TRW) goal is to support and promote consistent application of the best science in the field of risk assessment for metals and asbestos at contaminated sites nationwide. The TRW is composed of three committees: the Lead Committee, the Asbestos Committee and the Bioavailability Committee.
- Asbestos Committee Mission
- Expertise of the Asbestos Committee
- Annual Reports
- Accessing the Asbestos Committee
- Response from the Asbestos Comittee
- TRW Hotline
Asbestos Committee Mission
The Asbestos Committee provides technical support for questions concerning the assessment, removal or remediation of asbestos contamination at Superfund sites.
Expertise of the Asbestos Committee
The principal members of the Asbestos Committee are technical staff from:
- EPA Regions
- Office of Land and Emergency Management (OLEM) Headquarters
- Office of Research and Development (ORD)
Asbestos Committee members generally have an active interest and recognized scientific expertise in human health risk assessment.
TRW Asbestos Committee Annual Reports describe the actions taken by the committee during the past year. The reports summarize the committee’s accomplishments and activities and provide a list of current committee members.
- 2012 TRW Asbestos Committee Annual Report (PDF)
- 2013 TRW Asbestos Committee Annual Report (PDF)
- 2014 TRW Asbestos Committee Annual Report (PDF)
- 2015 TRW Asbestos Committee Annual Report (PDF)
- 2016 TRW Asbestos Committee Annual Report (PDF)
- 2017 TRW Asbestos Committee Annual Report (PDF)
Accessing the Asbestos Committee
Regional and state risk assessors and project managers may submit written or electronic requests for TRW Asbestos Committee review to the TRW Asbestos Committee’s co-chairs:
- Andrea Kirk (firstname.lastname@example.org) | EPA Headquarters
- Nicholas Mazziotta (email@example.com) | EPA Region 2
- Anna Milburn (firstname.lastname@example.org) | EPA Region 6
Response from the Asbestos Committee
The time required for the Asbestos Committee to complete a site-specific review will depend on the nature of the request and the extent of the review requested (i.e., a brief consultation or a thorough, in-depth review). Because the Asbestos Committee meets monthly via teleconference, a substantial request for assistance should be submitted at least two months prior to a desired response.
Questions may be submitted to the TRW hotline:
- For asbestos questions, e-mail email@example.com.