Reporting for TRI Facilities
TRI Reporting Deadline
- Reporting hotlines and TRI Coordinators can help answer regulatory and reporting questions.
- The Introduction to TRI for Industry slide presentation can answer basic TRI questions.
Each year, certain industrial facilities submit Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) data to EPA. The data are due by July 1 and cover waste management activities that occurred during the previous calendar year. EPA makes these data publicly available.
On this page:
- Is your facility required to report to the TRI Program?
- Overview of the TRI reporting process
- Reporting changes for RY 2020
- TRI training and guidance materials
Is Your Facility Required to Report to the TRI Program?
- A facility is required to report if it is in a covered industry sector and exceeds the established employee and chemical thresholds.
- The TRI Threshold Screening Tool can help you determine if your facility is required to report.
Overview of the TRI Reporting Process
The image below summarizes the TRI reporting process. For more detailed information about each step, refer to the TRI Reporting Forms and Instructions.
Reporting Changes for RY 2020
- The National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal Year 2020 added 172 Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) to the TRI chemical list. RY 2020 reporting forms for these chemicals are due by July 1, 2021, if TRI reporting thresholds are met.
For details about what's new in the TRI-MEweb reporting software, view the list of RY 2020 TRI-MEweb enhancements.
TRI Training and Guidance Materials
TRI training and guidance are accessible via GuideME. Below are links to help you locate guidance for certain topics:
- Current Reporting Instructions: Instructions for completing current-year TRI reporting forms
- Reporting Instructions Archive: Reporting instructions for previous years
- Pollution Prevention Reporting: Instructions for reporting newly implemented source reduction activities and submitting additional optional information
- Trade Secret Reporting: Information about submitting trade secret reporting forms
- Questions and Answers: Frequently asked reporting-related questions and answers
- Specific Guidance: Chemical- and industry-specific TRI reporting guidance
- TRI Training and TRI-MEweb Tutorials: Training on basic and advanced TRI reporting concepts, and links to tutorials about using TRI-MEweb to submit reporting forms