Reporting for TRI Facilities
Live Reporting Help
- Reporting hotlines and TRI Coordinators can help answer regulatory and reporting questions
Each year, certain industrial facilities submit Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) data to EPA. The data are due by July 1 and cover waste management activities that occurred during the previous calendar year. EPA makes these data publicly available.
New TRI Developments
- The new modernized version of TRI-MEweb streamlines and simplifies the TRI reporting process.
- EPA added 1-bromopropane to the TRI chemical list in November 2015. Facilities that meet reporting thresholds for 1-bromopropane should submit reporting forms by July 1, 2017.
- EPA added a hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) category to the TRI chemical list in November 2016. Facilities that meet TRI reporting thresholds for HBCD should begin collecting release information on January 1, 2017, for reporting forms due July 1, 2018.
TRI Reporting Process and Criteria
The image below summarizes the TRI reporting process. For more detailed information about each step, refer to the TRI Reporting Forms and Instructions manual.
TRI Training and Guidance
Please note that much of the existing TRI guidance is now located within GuideME, which allows users to more quickly find TRI guidance by browsing or searching.
- Current Year Reporting Forms and Instructions (RFI) Manual: Explains how to complete TRI reporting forms and contains samples of forms.
- Trade Secret Forms and Instructions: Details on how to submit a trade secret reporting form.
- TRI Questions and Answers: Browse by subject or search using keywords.
- TRI Guidance Documents: Chemical- and industry-specific reporting guidance.
- Search across all records in GuideME
On the TRI Website
- Archived Reporting Forms and Instructions: Previous years' reporting forms and instructions.
- Threshold Screening Tool: Helps you determine if your facility is required to report to TRI.
- TRI Training Slides and Tutorials: Presentation slides covering basic and advanced reporting concepts, and tutorials about using TRI-MEweb to submit TRI forms.
- TRI Metal Mining Information: Guidance and interpretations for certain TRI requirements for the metal mining industry.