Reporting for TRI Facilities
TRI Reporting Deadline
- Reporting hotlines and TRI Coordinators can help answer regulatory and reporting questions
- The Introduction to TRI for Industry slide presentation can answer basic TRI questions
Each year, certain industrial facilities submit Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) data to EPA. The data are due by July 1 and cover waste management activities that occurred during the previous calendar year. EPA makes these data publicly available.
On this page:
- The RY 2018 TRI Reporting Forms and Instructions (RFI) is available.
- EPA added a nonylphenol ethoxylates (NPEs) category to the TRI chemical list in June 2018. Reporting forms on NPEs are due July 1, 2020, for 2019 data if TRI chemical use and other thresholds are met.
- In 2018, the TRI Program renewed its Information Collection Request( ICR) and incorporated several changes to its reporting forms and instructions. For details about these changes, see the ICR tab of the TRI Laws and Regulatory Activities webpage, and the forthcoming 2018 Reporting Forms and Instructions guidance.
- An updated de minimis level is in effect for Tetrachlorvinphos (changed from 1.0% to 0.1%).
The image below summarizes the TRI reporting process. For more detailed information about each step, refer to the TRI Reporting Forms and Instructions.
Much of the existing TRI guidance is now located within GuideME, which allows users to quickly find TRI guidance by browsing or searching.
- Reporting Forms and Instructions (RFI) for the current year: Explains how to complete TRI reporting forms and contains samples of forms.
- Archived Reporting Forms and Instructions: Previous years' reporting forms and instructions.
- Trade Secret Forms and Instructions: Details on how to submit a trade secret reporting form.
- TRI Questions and Answers: Browse by subject or search using keywords.
- TRI Guidance Documents: Chemical- and industry-specific reporting guidance.
- Search across all records in GuideME
On the TRI Website
- Threshold Screening Tool: Helps you determine if your facility is required to report to TRI.
- TRI Training Slides and Tutorials: Presentation slides covering basic and advanced reporting concepts, and tutorials about using TRI-MEweb to submit TRI forms.
- TRI Metal Mining Information: Guidance and interpretations for certain TRI requirements for the metal mining industry.