Reporting for TRI Facilities
TRI Reporting Deadline
Live Reporting Help
- Reporting hotlines and TRI Coordinators can help answer regulatory and reporting questions
Each year, certain industrial facilities submit Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) data to EPA. The data are due by July 1 and cover waste management activities that occurred during the previous calendar year. EPA makes these data publicly available.
New TRI Developments
- EPA added a hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) category to the TRI chemical list in November 2017. Facilities that meet the reporting thresholds for HBCD should submit reporting forms by July 1, 2018.
- EPA has adopted the 2017 North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes, and facilities are required to use these codes on their 2017 TRI reporting forms.
- Updated de minimis levels are in effect for several chemicals beginning with reporting year 2017. See the 2017 RFI document for details.
- Please note that this year's July 1 reporting deadline falls on a Sunday. EPA TRI reporting guidance states that submissions will be accepted on Monday.
TRI Reporting Process and Criteria
The image below summarizes the TRI reporting process. For more detailed information about each step, refer to the TRI Reporting Forms and Instructions manual.
TRI Training and Guidance
Please note that much of the existing TRI guidance is now located within GuideME, which allows users to more quickly find TRI guidance by browsing or searching.
- Current Year Reporting Forms and Instructions (RFI) Manual: Explains how to complete TRI reporting forms and contains samples of forms.
- Archived Reporting Forms and Instructions: Previous years' reporting forms and instructions.
- Trade Secret Forms and Instructions: Details on how to submit a trade secret reporting form.
- TRI Questions and Answers: Browse by subject or search using keywords.
- TRI Guidance Documents: Chemical- and industry-specific reporting guidance.
- Search across all records in GuideME
On the TRI Website
- Threshold Screening Tool: Helps you determine if your facility is required to report to TRI.
- TRI Training Slides and Tutorials: Presentation slides covering basic and advanced reporting concepts, and tutorials about using TRI-MEweb to submit TRI forms.
- TRI Metal Mining Information: Guidance and interpretations for certain TRI requirements for the metal mining industry.