Recent Announcements related to Transportation, Air Pollution, and Climate Change
- September 1, 2022: EPA is holding a virtual workshop on the new biointermediates provisions of the Renewable Fuel Standard program on September 29, 2022 from 1-4 pm EDT.
- August 29, 2022: EPA finalizes an alternative RIN retirement schedule for small refineries to comply with their 2020 RFS obligations.
- August 29, 2022: EPA releases 2022 SmartWay high efficiency and/or air quality performers.
- August 19, 2022: EPA amends its reformulated gasoline (RFG) regulations to reflect that the Southern Maine Area are no longer Federal RFG covered areas as of September 30, 2021.
- August 18, 2022: EPA announces the Cellulosic Waiver Credit price for 2021 and 2022.
- August 5, 2022: EPA posts a new version "patch" to MOVES3.
- August 4, 2022: EPA renews SmartWay collaboration in Canada for another 5 years.
- August 4, 2022: EPA anticipates awarding approximately $8 million in Diesel Emissions Reduction Program (DERA) grants to eligible applicants, subject to the availability of funds.
- July 27, 2022: EPA releases a report on the Assessment of Fuel Cell Technologies at Ports.
- July 21, 2022: EPA takes a final action to improve the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Model (GEM) compliance tool for heavy-duty vehicles.
- June 8, 2022: EPA signs three separate Notices of Waivers for California’s Heavy Duty Program.
- June 3, 2022: EPA finalizes a package of actions setting biofuel volumes for the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) program for years 2020, 2021, and 2022, and introducing regulatory changes intended to enhance the program’s objectives.
- June 3, 2022: EPA is proposing an alternative renewable identification number (RIN) retirement schedule for small refineries under the RFS program for the 2020 compliance year.
- June 3, 2022: EPA announces the denial of 69 petitions from small refineries seeking small refinery exemptions (SREs) from the RFS program for one or more of the compliance years between 2016 and 2021.
- June 3, 2022: EPA provides an alternative compliance demonstration approach (the ‘‘June 2022 Compliance Action’’) to certain small refineries whose 2016, 2017, and/or 2018 petitions for SREs under the RFS program were denied in April and June 2022 after being judicially remanded to EPA for reconsideration.
- May 20, 2022: EPA is offering $500 million through the 2022 Clean School Bus Rebates for zero-emission and low-emission school bus rebates as the first funding opportunity.
- May 19, 2022: EPA releases the annual Fast Facts document that provides information about U.S. transportation sector greenhouse gas emissions (1990-2020).