Trash-Free Waters Webinars
The goal of the Trash-Free Waters Webinar Series is to promote increased knowledge and understanding of existing TFW place-based efforts, innovative solutions to addressing marine litter, and the sources, distribution and impacts of plastics and microplastics in the environment. The featured presenters are experienced stakeholders and researchers in this field.
When available, upcoming webinars will appear directly below so please check back often.
Past Webinar Recordings
- Data Collection and Monitoring for Trash-Free Waterways
- Reuse Models as Part of the Solution to the Plastic Pollution Crisis
- Experiences and Lessons Learned from Trash Capture Projects
- Trash Free Texas' "Adopt-A-Spot" Tool Webinar
- Brett Howell Cleanup Expedition to Henderson Island
- Dr. Pinar Balci, Assistant Commissioner, NYC Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Environmental Planning and Analysis
- Randy Hartmann, Senior Director of Affiliate Operations, Keep America Beautiful
- Sarah Kollar, Outreach Manager, International Coastal Cleanup, Trash Free Seas Program, Ocean Conservancy
September 23, 2021
When it comes to trash in waterways, it’s hard to manage what you can’t measure. Data on the location, amount, and types of trash polluting the environment can have a wide range of benefits. It has the potential to increase public awareness, guide policy solutions, and improve the effectiveness of solid waste and stormwater management. However, trash is a complex pollutant and obtaining useful data on trash in waterways is fraught with challenges. The sixth installment in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Trash Free Waters Webinar Series, Data Collection and Monitoring for Trash-Free Waterways, examined the benefits and challenges associated with litter data collection and monitoring.
During the webinar, speakers described three data collection and monitoring efforts that are each making an impact in different ways. Speakers provided local, national, and global perspectives on methods for collecting and analyzing trash data and the major challenges for obtaining and utilizing data.
Webinar Recording: https://youtu.be/RR4s_r39p_A
- Crystal Dreisbach, Executive Director of Don't Waste Durham and Founder of Durham GreenToGo
- Annika Greve, Business Development Director (North America), Loop
- Miriam Gordon, Policy Director, UPSTREAM Solutions
March 11, 2021
Disposable plastic packaging is a major source of the plastic waste that is accumulating at alarming rates in marine and freshwater environments. About 40% of all plastic produced globally is used for packaging. Reuse and refill models are creating new opportunities for consumers to reduce the amount of waste they generate by making it easier to purchase goods in reusable containers. In this webinar, speakers describe different types of reuse and refill models and discuss why reuse can be an important part of the solution to the plastic pollution problem both globally and locally. Speakers will also discuss the major challenges and opportunities for launching, maintaining, and scaling up reuse systems.
- Webinar Recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ko9ObwStkMA331r28nf8gtC5RUxqlDTV/view (this recording works best using Internet Explorer)
- Darryl Haddock, Education Director, West Atlanta Watershed Alliance
- Matt Robinson, Environmental Protection Specialist, Washington DC Department of Energy & Environment
- Chris Sommers, Vice President-Project Management, EOA Inc.
November 5, 2020
- Webinar Recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNDdam4wnhWtEN5VIEaZ5-O8dyLYUGcG/view (this recording works best using Internet Explorer)
Trash Free Texas: A Technology Platform Designed to Increase and Expedite the Adoption and Fostering of "Adopt-A-Spots" Throughout TX
Project champions from the City of Fort Worth, Keep Texas Beautiful, and Texas State University
April 15, 2020
- Webinar Recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/186SOg0_ESBakVWqYomH1jpBXiyHl0epe/view?usp=sharing (this recording works best using Internet Explorer)
Brett Howell, Conservationist
December 11, 2019
- Webinar Recording: https://youtu.be/JCB4qJ92NJ4